Menu
mnsolihull
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can receive but not send blueyonder mail on ipad

Suddenly 4 days ago could not send mail from my iPad. Receive is fine.

when trying to send got a message saying name or password is incorrect.

Can send/receive okay on virgin web page.

Eventually deleted account but now having trouble reinstating.

I enter my name, email address and password but says Cannot connect with SSL.

I opt to continue without SSL but then says smtp server virgin media.com not responding.

Have read other posts about this regarding advanced settings but can’t find where these are.

Any help much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can receive but not send blueyonder mail on ipad

You should find the answer with screen shots here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

mnsolihull
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but doesn’t really help.
I think I need to resolve why cannot connect with SSL
Also not sure which version of IOS the help list relates to but I use password and security to start to create mailbox. Mail tab as suggested does not bring any list up.
Cheers
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Go to Settings > Password & Accounts > under Accounts select your email accounts > under IMAP select your account > under Outgoing Mail server select SMTP and then follow the instruction previously linked to by Graham_A.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First of all lets explain something about iOS.

Whoever programmed the error reporting made mistakes.  How can I say this.  Simple, because I've witnessed the results personally.  I've seen the same as you but I dug a little deeper.  I know of two definite errors that are misreported and I also know of another choice that Apple made which causes a headache.  I'll deal the last first.

Finding 1

When you delete an email account, iOS does not delete the SMTP server settings.  When you recreate an  account with the same email address, instead of updating the SMTP password iOS uses uses the old password.  This means that when you recreate the account you can receive but not send.  That's why I created the sticky thread referenced earlier.

Finding 2

When manually changing the SMTP settings.  if iOS receives a failed authentication attempt, it flashes up an error message saying the server is not responding instead of the proper error message.

I tested this by using Windows wifi hotspot ability and a program called sTunnel to make my PC a man in the middle between the iOS and smtp.virginmedia.com.  This allowed me to tell iOS that my PC was the SMTP server and connect to it unencrypted.  The PC then set up an encrypted tunnel to smtp.virginmedia.com on port 465, I just monitored the traffic that passed through with Wireshark.

So when I used a wrong password I was able to see the 535 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300) error come back down the line, and iOS reporting that the server did not respond.

Finding 3

If there's an error in the final stage of the email send iOS will erroneously report that no email password was sent.  Again I tested this by triggering a VM603 spam content found error, as this error happens after iOS has transmitted the data but Virgin Media refused to accept the mail.

In short iOS mail is flawed, and these errors can actually make diagnosing problems harder.

iOS itself has no problems with SSL/TLS connections (Note the SSL setting also includes TLS connections).  Virtually all server should now be on at least TLS 1.0 and preferably higher.  Any responsible operator has long ago disabled SSL 1, 2 and 3 on their servers.  I use smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 on my iPad Mini 2 with the latest iOS without issue. (VM currently uses TLS1.2 for connections)

Likewise all versions of iOS have no problem with SMTP itself.  Only in correctly reporting errors when sending mail.

Finally SMTP works exactly the same on all devices - We'll ignore Virgin Media web mail for the minute, as that uses different SMTP servers to your email programs.  But the fact that you can send via Webmail shows the account is live.

So why can't you send?

Well lets ignore the "Server is not responding error!" due to finding 2.

Besides a wrong password VM has around another 11 error codes where SMTP authentication is denied for a number of reasons.  The server sends back a 525 error with a VM code.  In most email clients this error will trigger a password dialog.  Which is understandably confusing.

Are you sending from home wifi when the problem occurs?
Do you have a PC that you could try setting up Thunderbird on?  Or a PC with Outlook installed?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

mnsolihull
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for such a detailed reply.
Just tried to add mailbox again and it has worked!!
No idea why - changed nothing, went through same process.
Lost my Notes file in the process but small price to pay to get my iPad mail back.
Thanks for your input
mnsolihull
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Actually, update on that.
Can receive mail but sending mail not working although getting no error message.
Sent to self and another but not received.
Would have expected an error message and mail held in outbox folder but no.
0 Kudos