cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not send emails outlook imap

jcb208
Tuning in

Every time I  try to send an email it gets left in the outbox and I get a communication error.Recieving mail is fine and this is happening on all computers.Any ideas please the settings are correct

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jcb208 wrote:

" Sending reported error The connection to the server was interrupted If this problem continues contact your server administrator or ISP"

Thanks for coming back with that.

I know you have said that the settings are all correct but I would still check them. In particular check the Port number that Outlook is using for the outgoing (SMTP) server.

Here are the Outlook email settings recommended by Virgin Media:

Account typeSMTP
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port465  (Check that is not currently set to "25"
My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication Ticked
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

Outlook does sometimes have a tendency to default to Port 25 rather than 465 for a secure outgoing (SMTP) server.  To get round that the trick is to reset the  encryption method to SSL/TLS, and then change port 25 to port 465.

Using Port 25 for smtp.virignmedia,com would certainly explain the error you are seeing.

See if that is what's causing the problem.

Coenoby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jcb208 wrote:

I get a communication error.

So what does that "communication error" say?

Post the exact wording but remove the username (the part before the @Symbol) of any email addresses.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Sorry" Sending reported error The connection to the server was interrupted If this problem continues contact your server administrator or ISP"

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jcb208 wrote:

" Sending reported error The connection to the server was interrupted If this problem continues contact your server administrator or ISP"

Thanks for coming back with that.

I know you have said that the settings are all correct but I would still check them. In particular check the Port number that Outlook is using for the outgoing (SMTP) server.

Here are the Outlook email settings recommended by Virgin Media:

Account typeSMTP
Server port465  (Check that is not currently set to "25"
My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication Ticked
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

Outlook does sometimes have a tendency to default to Port 25 rather than 465 for a secure outgoing (SMTP) server.  To get round that the trick is to reset the  encryption method to SSL/TLS, and then change port 25 to port 465.

Using Port 25 for smtp.virignmedia,com would certainly explain the error you are seeing.

See if that is what's causing the problem.

Coenoby.

Hi I am using ntlworld email addresses do I still set to virginmedia.com

This problem is since I upgraded to windows 11 and the only option is either ssl, tls and none or auto

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jcb208 wrote:

Hi I am using ntlworld email addresses do I still set to virginmedia.com

Yes, VM have been recommending that for all their legacy domains since 2017.

In view of that question, here are the recommend settings for the incoming server (POP3 or IMAP depending on which one you currently use)  so you can update those as well.

Incoming  

Account typeIMAP
Server port993
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com

or:

Account typePOP3
Server port995
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostpop3.virginmedia.com

This problem is since I upgraded to windows 11 and the only option is either ssl, tls and none or auto

TLS is a later development of SSL. My version of Outlook in Office 365 (Windows 10) still only offers the old options SSL/TLS, StartTLS or Auto.

In your case I would use SSL for incoming and outgoing servers.

Coenoby

Thanks got it working, virginmedia.com as the incoming and outgoing server will not work asks for password that does not accept so used ntlworld.also reset the out going smtp to SSL from TLS

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jcb208 wrote:

Thanks got it working, virginmedia.com as the incoming and outgoing server will not work asks for password that does not accept so used ntlworld.also reset the out going smtp to SSL from TLS

Thanks for coming back on that. I'll make  a note about the change from SSL/TLS to SSL or TLS in Outlook. That's interesting.

The fact that the nltworld.com servers work for you but the virginmedia ones do not is possibly down to an error in the settings you used for the virginmedia.com servers. The common ones are that people use the short version of the username  so, for example just "richard.branson" rather than "richard.branson@ntlworld.com". Or they get the port numbers wrong. I know Outlook is asking for the password but  that's basically a default response, it does not necessarily mean it is the original password that has been rejected.

Alternatively there could be a deeper problem:

I'll try to keep it brief. The ntlworld.com servers have a different, less rigorous validation process to the virginmedia.com ones when your device is attached to your own VM network. However, when your device is using another wifi network there is stronger validation applied to make sure it is really you sending the email.

That means that although you are currently able to send using the ntlworld servers from (I presume) your own wifi network, as soon as you use the device to send emails on another network you may well find you get errors again. (Probably slightly different ones though.)

It might be worth testing that out now rather than being caught out by it when you really need to access you emails away from home.

Coenoby