cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not send email on home WiFi Apple devices

Candh0446
Tuning in

Any advice greatly received. I’ve contacted virgin about this but no help was given. Referred me to gadget rescue but they cut me off. Don’t see why I should pay for this to be fixed when I pay £60 a month for VM!!

as of approx three weeks ago we are unable to send email from any of our Apple devices thru the mail app. Have reconfigured settings/passwords/deleted accounts several times etc. 
all six apple devices get the message, the connection to the smtp.virginmedia.com outgoing server failed etc etc. We can send via webmail through the Virgin media website. 
mall emails go to outbox and as soon as we leave the house and meet a new network the emails in the outbox send. 
please advise anyone!!! I’d be so happy as Virgin have been so unhelpful

17 REPLIES 17

Hi,

Will work on 4G in house with wifi off on all devices that are 4G enabled. All emails send the second you meet a new wifi signal.

Thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Candh0446 wrote:

Hi

Curl results

my-name-macbook-pro:(wobbly line don't have on keyboard! Tilde?)my name$

I don't know if that mean anything!??

This is expected and is just the terminal prompt waiting for a command to be typed. Enter the following command; just highlight, press + C to copy and then  in the terminal press + V to paste and press Return key to execute:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | grep "235\\|VM"

The resulting command and its output will be similar to the following:

Mac-Pro:~ 用心棒$ curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | grep "235\\|VM"
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM304) 

Once comfortable with using the terminal repeat the above command but replace username:password as previously instructed.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Candh0446 wrote:

Hi,

Will work on 4G in house with wifi off on all devices that are 4G enabled. All emails send the second you meet a new wifi signal.

Thanks

FYI: this would likely indicate your Virgin Media connection's public IP Address is blacklisted and Virgin Media SMTP server is using that blocklist to deny access.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Candh0446

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on after trying the above tips?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

yes it seems so, VM day they can’t do anything only refer me to spamhaus for removal of the block or wait until 22nd of Jan when it renews. I’ve done the request but it’s not worked yet. 
will wait until 22 to see…..

Hi

Norhing has worked so far as per my request to spamhaus or VM. Will wait uNeil 22 and see if new IP happens and/or does anything!!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jem101 wrote:

Not wanting to pour cold water over things but, what makes whoever you spoke to think that your IP address will change on 22nd? (hint it actually won’t), and Spamhaus, did they say this was the reason (VM did use Spamhaus but I thought they had stopped that in favour of their own internal system) for not being able to send?

I would agree with @jem101 and reiterate that the likelihood of your public IP Address changing on the 22ⁿᵈ is remote.

Were you able to run the curl command and if so did its resulting output show a VM error code?

@Candh0446 one other question, have you checked with Spamhaus to see which blocklist you are on? There are a couple which you should be included on and Spamhaus absolutely won't remove you from those.

You need to find your public IP address, then goto the Spamhaus website and there is a box where you can enter the IP address and it will return which of their lists you are on.

If you want to post the reply back on here (but before doing so please remove the actual IP address), we can take a look and advise accordingly, the whole Spamhaus thing might be a red herring!