cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not send email on home WiFi Apple devices

Candh0446
Tuning in

Any advice greatly received. I’ve contacted virgin about this but no help was given. Referred me to gadget rescue but they cut me off. Don’t see why I should pay for this to be fixed when I pay £60 a month for VM!!

as of approx three weeks ago we are unable to send email from any of our Apple devices thru the mail app. Have reconfigured settings/passwords/deleted accounts several times etc. 
all six apple devices get the message, the connection to the smtp.virginmedia.com outgoing server failed etc etc. We can send via webmail through the Virgin media website. 
mall emails go to outbox and as soon as we leave the house and meet a new network the emails in the outbox send. 
please advise anyone!!! I’d be so happy as Virgin have been so unhelpful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Candh0446 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're unable to send emails from your Apple devices.  Just to clarify, if you turn off the WiFi and use a mobile data connection do the emails also send immediately?  And do you have this issue on non Apple devices?

Regards

Lee_R

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The scenario described would suggests that your home network's public IP Address is on a block list. To determine this it would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. On your Mac open a Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | grep "235\\|VM"

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Candh0446 thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're unable to send emails from your Apple devices.  Just to clarify, if you turn off the WiFi and use a mobile data connection do the emails also send immediately?  And do you have this issue on non Apple devices?

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks for your reply.

Got a phone call back from VM yesterday and after a lot of negotiations the admitted the problem is with our IP address as you and I suspected. Either I wasn’t until 22/1 for it to renew or request unblocking via Spam Haus which is what I’ve done. It’s not working yet but hoping it will fix it. Thanks so much for the advice, it’s much appreciated!

I’ll post to confirm what the outcome is

😉

Hi Candh0446, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're glad to hear the team have got in touch with you and you've managed to find a resolution. 

Please let us know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Very much astonished that you actually got a call back from VM. Although it has been rumoured that such semi-legendary events have happened in the distant past, to have confirmation of their existence, I think I need to put some bunting up and petition the Government to declare a national holiday!

Not wanting to pour cold water over things but, what makes whoever you spoke to think that your IP address will change on 22nd? (hint it actually won’t), and Spamhaus, did they say this was the reason (VM did use Spamhaus but I thought they had stopped that in favour of their own internal system) for not being able to send?

Lastly if you were on the Spamhaus blocklist (not the PBL, you should be on that one), then it was for a reason - just requesting a delisting won’t stop you being re-listed unless you find the underlaying cause. Spamhaus won’t be so accommodating a second time.

Hi

works fine on 4G with WiFi off. Have asked IP address be removed from blocklist. Still waiting for that to happen as still won’t send. 
Don’t own any non Apple devices!!

thanks 

Hi

its not resolved yet!! Still can’t send!

Thanks 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What result did the curl command produce?

Hi

Curl results

my-name-macbook-pro:(wobbly line don't have on keyboard! Tilde?)my name$

I don't know if that mean anything!??

Many Thanks in advance for any help