cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer send from email client

AP314285
Joining in

Email worked for years on iPhone via client . Changed nothing but can no longer send emails . Replies user name or password incorrect . Can receive ok . 
web mail is fine . Tried all the usual ,changed password, deleting and re installing account all settings are as per specified still no joy . My current public IP address [deleted] accessing from Norway via reputable provider it does not appear on any blacklist. Worked fine for 7 days . The same applies to my wife’s phone using a different email address on my account . Account is on ntlworld platform , I can ping the smtp server from the phone . Can only use on wifi as no phone signal . Can send and receive fine using a gmail account 

Ideas please 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi AP314285, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with sending emails using a client. 

As it is working when sending directly via webmail, this may be related to the email client or app you're using. Make sure you have it set up on the correct server settings. You can find those here: Email settings change

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AP314285  What error message do you see, if any, when accessing the email account concerned via the VM webmail page at https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

Do you currently have a UK Virgin Media broadband account to which the email addresses concerned are attached?

Edited to add: I now see that you say webmail is fine.  Can you send ok via webmail?  VM have much stricter limits on email sending from email clients when outside the UK.  Webmail is less strict.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

AP314285
Joining in

Hi Graham

web mail works fine send and recieve  . It is a uk based account  , but I am out of the country at present . The email client work fine for several days from this location so what has changed ? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Difficult to say for certain.  Sadly the iOS clients don't tend to report the VM error code which would identify the cause.

Most likely exceeding the sending limits which are set at so many per hour and so many per 24 hour period.  VM don't publish the actual limits as it is part of their anti spam defences.

You may find that the block lifts after a few hours/days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am on holiday and have sent nothing like the number of emails that I normally do . Perhaps 30 over a period of 7 days with a few low band width pictures plus I can still send via web mail . 

Hi AP314285, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with sending emails using a client. 

As it is working when sending directly via webmail, this may be related to the email client or app you're using. Make sure you have it set up on the correct server settings. You can find those here: Email settings change

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath 

I have checked all my settings before but I rechecked and changed nothing . However after 4 days of not working I can now send emails again . However my the email my wife uses assigned to my account is still not able to send but can receive ,all the settings are correct . I have no idea why . 
regards

Thanks for the update AP314285 and glad to hear you're back able to send emails from your account. Have you checked to see if the settings are the same across both yours and your wife's email accounts?

Rob

I have restored my wife’s email by changing the password on the account however I used the original password . The account then started to work again with out any changes to the settings . 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AP314285

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about the issues experienced, great to hear the issue is now fixed. Is there anything else we could help you with?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team