cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer log into email from a computer

Cesar88
Tuning in

Hi,

I have Virgin media in my house and an associated NTLworld email account.  I can obviously log onto this through my phone and laptop.

My problem is that I had another ntlworld email account that was linked to my mum and dads  virgin account.  They have sadly passed away (within the last year).. I closed my parents virgin media account and it now seems as if I have lost some access to the ntlworld email linked to their account. This is actually my main email account that I have used for many years.    I can still access it through my phone but cant log on via computer.

Is there anyway I can regain the ability to log onto this account via laptop or link it to my own virgin media account.  I obviously had 2 virgin media accounts as I managed both my parents and my account. 

regards

Stephen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Condolences on your loss.  

This is a complex situation. The Ntlworld email address on your parents account was under their control as account holder.  Following a bereavement it is possible to transfer the account to beneficiary however that would wipe out any existing email addresses on your own VM broadband account.

You should take steps now to secure off line copies of all the content of the Ntlworld email address whilst you still have access to it via your phone.  The account is liable for closure at any time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Condolences on your loss.  

This is a complex situation. The Ntlworld email address on your parents account was under their control as account holder.  Following a bereavement it is possible to transfer the account to beneficiary however that would wipe out any existing email addresses on your own VM broadband account.

You should take steps now to secure off line copies of all the content of the Ntlworld email address whilst you still have access to it via your phone.  The account is liable for closure at any time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Graham,
Thanks for replying.

Thats exactly what I'm worried about, Suddenly losing access to my main email address. I rarely use the one that's linked to my own VM account.

Have you any idea how to secure offline copies of the content? There's a lot of correspondence regarding trying to tie up their estate that I wouldn't want to lose.
regards
Stephen

Sorry for your loss.

Not having access to your old account on your computer makes backing up historical emails problematic.

One option may be forwarding all relevant emails to another email account you have control over using your phone. Time consuming though.

For another possible option look here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/change-account-holder under "What to do if the account holder is critically ill, or has died" and the section To Transfer Services, copied below.

If you want to transfer existing services into another person's name without any other changes, just download and complete our Bereavement Transfer form and email it back to us.

Once you've sent the form back we'll update the accounts within 7 days.

If you want to make changes to the services at the same time as transferring it into another person's name, then please give us a call on the number below.

If a customer of Virgin Media and O2 with Volt benefits has passed away, to manage their O2 mobile account please visit O2’s bereavement page. O2 have a team dedicated to supporting you through this difficult time.

I suspect time will be of the essence, so the sooner you act, the better.

(Sorry, just noticed from post #1 the timescale involved. It may be too late for the above option to be viable.)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cesar88 wrote:
Graham,
Thanks for replying.

Thats exactly what I'm worried about, Suddenly losing access to my main email address. I rarely use the one that's linked to my own VM account.

Have you any idea how to secure offline copies of the content? There's a lot of correspondence regarding trying to tie up their estate that I wouldn't want to lose.
regards
Stephen

I would expect that most phone email apps have a backup facility.  Search for help on your particular app.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Cesar88, 

Thank you for your post. 

Please accept our condolences for your loss from all us here in the community forums. Going from your first post - can you confirm when it is you closed down the account in question? 

Cheers, 

Ryan.