cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone explain why blacklisting and spam filters are not working?

bobpjones
Tuning in

Despite setting up filters and blacklisting certain email addresses they do not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Choosing the Reject All SPAM messages option places reliance historically lacking from Virgin Media spam filters correctly identifying spam. Consider instead creating a filter rule to correctly identify the misidentified spam with an action of discard.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bobpjones wrote:

Ah right! I thought blacklisting would stop the emails completely. Just have to reject all spam instead.

Thanks

That would be a bad idea.  I still get legitimate emails ending up in spam.  If you reject all - then you lose sight of these emails entirely.

Even if you are using a reputable email provider such as Gmail or Outlook.com - I would never recommend rejecting all spam.  No one gets it right 100% of the time.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If a blacklisted email address is appearing in your Spam folder then it is working as intended.

Post a screenshot of the filter rule or its Conditions and Actions with detail of the incoming emails it is expected to match.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ah right! I thought blacklisting would stop the emails completely. Just have to reject all spam instead.

Thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Choosing the Reject All SPAM messages option places reliance historically lacking from Virgin Media spam filters correctly identifying spam. Consider instead creating a filter rule to correctly identify the misidentified spam with an action of discard.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bobpjones wrote:

Thanks

That would be a bad idea.  I still get legitimate emails ending up in spam.  If you reject all - then you lose sight of these emails entirely.

Even if you are using a reputable email provider such as Gmail or Outlook.com - I would never recommend rejecting all spam.  No one gets it right 100% of the time.

Tim

Yes I've discovered that a nuiscance email is still getting through 😐

Yes that was something I was prepared to tolerate, but it didn' stop the nuiscance email, so I'll have try creating a filter

This doesn't work for me.

I have set up a filter with:-

From contains 'getyourprizeonline'

Actions = 'discard'

process subsequent rules not ticked

I still got email from '<tony@snd.getyourprizeonline.com>' in my spam folder.

My guess is that VM flagged this as spam and the spam filtering happens before my filter.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sacko123 wrote:

This doesn't work for me.

I have set up a filter with:-

From contains 'getyourprizeonline'

Actions = 'discard'

process subsequent rules not ticked

I still got email from '<tony@snd.getyourprizeonline.com>' in my spam folder.

My guess is that VM flagged this as spam and the spam filtering happens before my filter.

Your guess is correct.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs