cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You Block Emails On VM Email Account?

DifferentLogin
Dialled in

I am getting emails from supposedly reputable companies, e.g. Pharmacy 2U, which I cannot unsubscribe to. An example is shown in the screenshot, below (I have redacted my email address).  At the bottom, it says: 'We have sent you this email because you have opted into promotional emails from Jungle Bee N.V. Curacao.  Needless to say, I DID NOT opt in to such emails and have never heard of the company.  There are supposedly links to unsubscribe but these have a line through them, and don't work.  Has anyone got any ideas on this?  Is it possible to block email addresses on a VM email account?  I note that other email providers, such as Gmail have provision to block emails as standard.  Would my best option be to leave VM and move to a provider which provides a decent service?

Unsubscribable Pharmacy 2U EmailUnsubscribable Pharmacy 2U Email 

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DifferentLogin wrote:

There are supposedly links to unsubscribe but these have a line through them, and don't work. 

You should never use the unsubscribe link in an email unless your know for certain that the email is definitely genuine and definitely from a legitimate company. The reason is that if the email is from a scammer or spammer clicking the unsubscribe link simply confirms that you are receiving and reading their emails. That will result in them sending you more emails.

Is it possible to block email addresses on a VM email account? 

Yes..................but.

Here's the "yes" part - so how do it:

• Sign into your VM webmail account,
  • select one of emails you wish to block, 
  • click on the   symbol,
  • then from the dropdown list click on  Add sender to Blocklist
  • and then click on Add to confirm you want to add it to the Blocklist.

Here's the "but" part:

• Blocking an address will send any further emails from that email address straight to your VM spam folder. So strictly speaking it does not "block" them.
  • However, the biggest drawback with any email blocklist is that spammers and scammers regularly change the mail address they send from. One reason they do that is to get around blocklists! So you may well see what appear to be the same or related emails still appearing in your inbox because, (although it may not be obvious), they are coming from a new email address. The blocklist in Gmail and other email services suffer from the same problem.

VM webmail does have the facility to allow you to set up specific filters to catch unwanted emails but that takes time and patience. You also have to be very careful that any filters you set up do not catch genuine emails that you want to see.

Would my best option be to leave VM and move to a provider which provides a decent service?

Should you move to another email provider?

• Certainly changing you email address would stop you getting these particular spam emails simply because the spammers will not know your new address!
  • Email accounts from Gmail ( and most other major email providers) are more secure from hacking attempts, are better supported and more reliable. Also, in my experience Gmail has better and more responsive spam filtering than VM's email service.
  • VM no longer offers email accounts to new broadband customers or allows existing customers to create new VM email accounts. VM do continue to support existing VM email accounts but clearly they do not see email as a priority part of their business going forward.

So, I'll leave you to make your mind up on that.😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @DifferentLogin thanks for your post, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

As @coenoby has suggested, there is a way to block other user's emails so please explore their instructions for how to do this.

I hope this helps and if you need any further support, please don't hesitate to let us know!
Many thanks

Tom_W