cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change an email address on my account?

EG1
Up to speed

I was trying earlier to add a new email address but nowmundertsand that's no loner available. So plan B is to try and change one of the existing email addresses I have with VM and give it a new name. Is that possible?

When logged in on that account there was an edit option which allowed me to type in a new email address. It didn't throw up any error messages and seemed to accept this. But nothing actually altered or changed visibly. So I tried again, on 2nd attempt a message told me I had already tried this and needed to check my emails and follow instructions. If I log in using the previous email address there are no emails. If I try to log in using the new email address I get a message saying:

You haven't confirmed this email address yet. Please check your inbox for a message called 'Verify your My Virgin Media email' and click the link in the email.”

Can't log in there and can't see an email like that anywhere. Is there a way to get it resent or to confirm another way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @EG1  You have probably come across the facility to change the username for a VM email address.  This doesn't do what you might think it does.  It changes the username used to log into the address but doesn't change the underlying email address which cannot be changed.

If the username change process is used the 'new' username has to a third party email address that you already have setup and access to in order to receive the confirmation email.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @EG1  You have probably come across the facility to change the username for a VM email address.  This doesn't do what you might think it does.  It changes the username used to log into the address but doesn't change the underlying email address which cannot be changed.

If the username change process is used the 'new' username has to a third party email address that you already have setup and access to in order to receive the confirmation email.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks Graham, a  very insightful person indeed. If only VM could explain things as clearly as you do.

Looks like a new email address from elsewhere is the answer. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EG1 A new email address from an email supplier independent of your broadband supplier is a good idea for a number of reasons.

VM email addresses are deleted 90 days after you cease to be a VM broadband customer so an independent email address is more endurable.

Whilst VM have said that existing email accounts will continue to be supported the fact that new email addresses can no longer be created could be taken as a warning re the long term future.

Worth noting that BT have recently taken the same path and stopped issuing new email addresses.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi EG1, thanks for posting on our forum with your questions and concerns.

Sorry to hear of the issue with the email addresses on your account, has the advice from Graham_A helped you sort this out?
Let us know if there is anything you still need our help with and we're happy to support you further.

Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks. It’s all fine unless you know a way I can either amend a VM email address to another name OR can add an additional email address. As both seem to be unavailable then I think I’ll need to get a new one somewhere else. 

Thanks for coming back to us EG1

Just to confirm from your original post, have you managed to change one of your existing email addresses with a new 3rd party email address, but you haven't received the verification email is this correct?

Kind regards Jodi. 

No, I found out I can’t rename an email address. So I’ve left that plan abandoned alongside the original idea of opening up another VM email address. And it's off to Gmail for a new one.