cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPTCHA

ianjayne
Rising star

I am getting sick and tired of this feature.  It's making my life difficult. I get fed up of clicking on step that are not stairs, mountain that are not hills, cross walks we don't have them in the UK only Ped Xings.  Traffic signals and the posts, cars and then stupid fire hydrants which we don't have either. Americanisms gone mad,. Get rid of it VM or I'm off!

Rant over.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ianjayne

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I'm not a fan either however it is there for a security purpose. I know it can be incredibly frustrating and I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Your feedback has been noted.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ianjayne wrote:

I am getting sick and tired of this feature.  It's making my life difficult. I get fed up of clicking on step that are not stairs, mountain that are not hills, cross walks we don't have them in the UK only Ped Xings.  Traffic signals and the posts, cars and then stupid fire hydrants which we don't have either. Americanisms gone mad,. Get rid of it VM or I'm off!

Oh yes the dreaded reCaptcha

It's a test designed to tell human and bots apart. Supposedly It is easy for humans to solve, but hard for “bots” and other malicious software to figure out. Funnily enough after reading your post I  have just spent a few minutes trying to trigger reCaptcha by repeatedly logging in and out of my VM account but it would not cut in.  I guess it could easily tell I was only human after all. 🙄

If you do decide to stick with VM, when reCaptcha rears its head again you might try taking the audio challenge instead of the visual one.

When you get the familiar screen with all the images, click on the  coenoby_0-1616853474483.png symbol and you just have to key in the numbers that are read out.  There are slightly different versions depending on whether you are using a mobile device or a laptop/desktop but the process is the same for both and (in my view) it is much simpler than the "click on all ....." test.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the useful insight @coenoby 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ianjayne wrote:

no idea if it was correct and in I went. 

Nice one. 😀 

In truth it's been a while since I have seen reCaptcha, which was why I wanted it to test it out before replying to you.

However, from what I can recall the voice was fairly easy to understand whenever I used it.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

19 REPLIES 19

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ianjayne

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I'm not a fan either however it is there for a security purpose. I know it can be incredibly frustrating and I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Your feedback has been noted.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ianjayne wrote:

Oh yes the dreaded reCaptcha

It's a test designed to tell human and bots apart. Supposedly It is easy for humans to solve, but hard for “bots” and other malicious software to figure out. Funnily enough after reading your post I  have just spent a few minutes trying to trigger reCaptcha by repeatedly logging in and out of my VM account but it would not cut in.  I guess it could easily tell I was only human after all. 🙄

If you do decide to stick with VM, when reCaptcha rears its head again you might try taking the audio challenge instead of the visual one.

When you get the familiar screen with all the images, click on the  coenoby_0-1616853474483.png symbol and you just have to key in the numbers that are read out.  There are slightly different versions depending on whether you are using a mobile device or a laptop/desktop but the process is the same for both and (in my view) it is much simpler than the "click on all ....." test.

Coenoby

Thanks for the useful insight @coenoby 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Now here’s a (hilarious) thing. I tried your suggestion, tapped on the earphones icon listened several times to the spoken word which sounded like ‘now high lightening’ but never really understood what was said so I entered a best guess as above but no idea if it was correct and in I went. 
Thanks anyway 😂😂

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ianjayne wrote:

no idea if it was correct and in I went. 

Nice one. 😀 

In truth it's been a while since I have seen reCaptcha, which was why I wanted it to test it out before replying to you.

However, from what I can recall the voice was fairly easy to understand whenever I used it.

Coenoby

Sololobo
Superstar

CAPTCHA  (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) is available in British English  
https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/language  so why Virgin Media websites fail to use this option is a mystery, as well as being a total PITA.

Should be easy enough to implement too: https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/1373/how-to-set-the-google-recaptcha-language-from-the-start-....

(Just kidding, it may be harder than it looks)

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Just done another, not a clue what was said so just typed anything just gobble de hook and it worked so what’s that all about?

Complete nonsense. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sololobo wrote:

CAPTCHA  (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) is available in British English  

That's interesting, I did not know that.

I've seen reCaptcha on lots of websites and it always seems to be the same old familiar one. Interesting to know if the English (UK) "Language pack" includes images from pretty English villages rather than endless images of downtown USA.

Also, a "Tick all the images showing a pot hole" challenge would be a good one for English roads. On second thoughts it would be too easy.

Coenoby

It seems the dreaded Captcha debate rumbles on, not for me until about five weeks ago when it suddenly appeared and has consistently bugged me night and day. I sign in 5 - 6 times a day so this is the most annoying thing I have come across for some time. It is a total waste of my time and for Virginmedia to say it is a SECURITY Feature when it obviously is about as much use as a Chocolate Fireguard which can be fooled by just mumbling any rubbish on the verbal challenge to get past it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can that be a Security Feature, it's more like a good Feature for everyone to say Bye Bye Virginmedia I won't bother using you mail etc. It's some time since the last post on here so is the problem still ongoing or am I just another unlucky one who has been picked to harass??? 

Scorpioking.    Dave

Dave. Scorpioking