cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder password hacked.

bigchap
On our wavelength

Hi. I’ve had an email from my own blueyonder account saying it’s been hacked and states the password. How do I access the account to change the password? It is not on my virgin media account.

13 REPLIES 13

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bigchap wrote:

I’ve had an email from my own blueyonder account saying it’s been hacked and states the password

That sounds like an extremely common scam where the scammers threaten to expose webcam footage of you unless you pay the scammer in bitcoin.

If that is the case, it will almost certainly not have been sent from your Blueyonder account but has simply been spoofed (faked) to make it appear as if it has. In a lot  of cases the password quoted is one that you used for an online account linked to that email address rather than the email password itself.  Obviously it's still worrying though.

Do you still use that Blueyonder account? Do you know that the password quoted is the real one?

These days you have to reset an account password via the "My Virgin Media" account for that email account so you could try resetting the password by entering the Blueyonder address and password here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  

Once you have logged in click on  Account Settings then Account details

Then click on the Manage Accounts tab and you will see an option to reset the password.

As a final thought, do you still use that Blueyonder account?

The reason I ask is that if it is not listed under the "Manage other Virgin Media accounts" section of your main My Virgin Media account it means that the email account is not linked to your current VM broadband account. That means it could be closed by VM at anytime as an "orphan " account because all VM email accounts need to be linked to a live broadband account.

If you don't use it then the easiest thing may be to ask VM to delete it.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @bigchap 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear the issue with your email.

I am going to drop you a private message now to confirm some more details and investigate further, please keep an eye on your inbox

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

bigchap
On our wavelength

Thanks Travis.

bigchap
On our wavelength

I haven’t received the message Travis.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bigchap  The PM should appear in the purple envelope icon at the top right of this community page rather than your email inbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

bigchap
On our wavelength

Yeah, it’s empty.

bigchap
On our wavelength

Hi. Thanks for reaching out. I can’t send or receive emails from the account and on the iPad, it says the password has been changed.

bigchap
On our wavelength

Hi. Thanks for reaching out. I can’t send or receive emails from the account and on the iPad, it says the password has been changed.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bigchap wrote:

on the iPad, it says the password has been changed.

Sadly when email apps cannot access the email server they often give default error messages such "Password incorrect" when the real problem lies elsewhere.

While you are waiting for the VM staff to get back to you, you can get a clearer idea of what the problem is (and of course it may be a password issue) by accessing your email account directly on the VM website.

Enter your Blueyonder address here https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn   and then enter the password when prompted. That error message will be direct from VM rather that Apple's interpretation.

If you cannot access the account from there or you get a "Mailbox unavailable" error the first thing I would do would be to try resetting the password (as I suggested in my first post 😉) if you have not tried already. If it is just a password problem that may well solve it. Here's what I said there:

"These days you have to reset an account password via the "My Virgin Media" account for that email account so you could try resetting the password by entering the Blueyonder address and password here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  

Once you have logged in click on  Account Settings then Account details

Then click on the Manage Accounts tab and you will see an option to reset the password."

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.