cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder emails suddenly deemed too large to send

disco_boy
On our wavelength

On the morning of Wednesday 12 January 2022, I was suddenly unable to send messages containing anything more than a few lines of (plain) text. I contacted Virgin Media and was told my main Blueyonder email address had been locked. After unlocking, the problem continued. Anyone else having same problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi disco_boy, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with sending your emails. 

From what you've said, it sounds as though this is only happening when using a mail client and working fine when trying through webmail. Can you confirm this? 

It's also worth posting the information 用心棒 has requested too so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is this occurring in webmail or an email client?

Are you able to post a redacted screenshot of the error message; if not then a verbatim quote would still be helpful?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Yes, on email clients only. Here's the message I got when sending a very short text reply, no actual attachments.

_20220116_141920.JPG

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the name of the email client?

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation in case your email client is misreporting the cause. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com :Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

Post the redacted results here taking care not to include the curl command itself.

Hi disco_boy, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with sending your emails. 

From what you've said, it sounds as though this is only happening when using a mail client and working fine when trying through webmail. Can you confirm this? 

It's also worth posting the information 用心棒 has requested too so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

disco_boy
On our wavelength

Yes, the problem is unique to mail clients - which are: Mail for Windows 10, the generic app for Android and Outlook for Android.

However, it appears that the problem may now be resolved. And email from Virgin Media on 12 Jan got dumped in my spam folder, warning that I may have been infected with malware, to run a scan and change my log-in to unlock my main email address.

Although I changed my log-in first, and then ran scans to ensure all was clean. I am monitoring the situation (as family members have accounts under my umbrella) but at the moment things are looking good. 

Hi disco_boy,

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and updating things. 

We're glad things are working for you now. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team