Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email setup on Outlook and Windows 11

Niall2
On our wavelength
Re: Blueyonder email on new laptop

yesterday

Hi, I was following a step by step process to get my blueyonder.co.uk email account working on Outlook 365, on Windows 11. I have worked through a number of solutions including the accessing of managing the email setup through settings and then accounts, in control panel. I am not sure if the account is an Outlook365, imap or pop account. Previously it worked okay on pop. 

Can anyone advise on where i am going wrong?

I have tried picking up the automatic account for Outlook365, but it does not allow me to send or download messages when i go to Outlook, 

The account is working fine through the browser and linked to virgin media online. Both receiving and sending.

I also tried the imap setup with options for imap.virginmedia.com - then again with imap.virginmedia.com:993:1 as per your brief below. I then tried again with imap.blueyonder.co.uk to see if it made a different and again with :993:1 on the end. 

Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how i might get this setup right?

Thanking you in advance for your consideration and help. Cheers Niall.

13 REPLIES 13

Sololobo
Superstar

Try following the instructions provided here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/add-an-email-account-to-outlook-6e27792a-9267-4aa4-8bb6-c... 

If you still have issues use Advanced Setup and manually add the account using the settings below:-

POP Access (Incoming)

Server Name: pop3.virginmedia.com

User Name: Your full email address

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication: Normal password

Port: 995

IMAP Access (Incoming)

Server Name: imap.virginmedia.com

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

Port: 993

Outgoing Server (SMTP)

Server Name: smtp.virginmedia.com

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

Port: 465

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Niall2
On our wavelength
Hi Sololobo, I will check and see if it works. Thank you. Will advise. Cheers N

Niall2
On our wavelength

Hi Sololobo,

it does not work. It gives me the following - Something went wrong - The connection to the incoming (IMAP) server was dropped. Please check the incoming (IMAP) server settings and try again.

I entered the following:

incoming mail: imap.virginmedia.com  port 993, tried options for encryption of SSL/TLS initially, without success. Then STARTTLS - no luck. Finally, None. No luck.

Then:

outgoing mail: smtp.virginmedia.com port 465. started with SSL/TLS, without success. Then STARTTLS and finally None, No Luck, again.

Your thoughts or anyone else able to comment?

Thank you, take care, Cheers Niall.

Only the settings within Outlook should be for virginmedia.com, your email address should remain as your full blueyonder email address, eg ********@blueyonder.co.uk

The only other thing I can suggest is to change your password to something you haven't used before, wait 30 mins. and try again.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Niall2
On our wavelength

Hi Sololobo,

Thank you for your update. 

Your points are noted. The email in Outlook is in full - xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk and the password has been updated several times.

Any other thoughts?

Take care, Cheers Niall.

Niall2
On our wavelength

Hi Sololobo,
I can open the email account on both virginmedia.com online app suite through Edge browser. I can do the same in the Outlook app on the same browser. The accounts run fine, with items incoming and able to be sent through outbox, without any problem. The password is clearly working. 

Trying to get it operating on Outlook app on the desktop/laptop through office seems to be a problem with Windows 11.

Have tried Microsoft365 option for automatically finding the email automated settings. Now trying Outlook.com options. Have previously tried pop and imap. Both did not work. Outlook now say dreaded, something went wrong - clearly not the right option?

Going to go back to imap settings... with your original virginmedia.com server options and associated ports for SSL/TLS.  imap.virginmedia.com 993, SSL/TLS, and then smtp.virginmedia.com 465, SSL/TLS. Now trying again with require login ticked for SPA. Again failed, something went wrong, troubleshoot.

Getting frustrating...

Hope you might be able to help?

Cheers N

Try setting up your email account via Control Panel instead of through Outlook.

Open Control Panel. To perform this task navigate to your Windows "search bar" and type "Control Panel" into the search field.
When the search is complete click on the Control Panel icon.

Clicking on Control panel will open "more control options". From the control options list select Mail (Microsoft Outlook).

After selecting Mail (Microsoft Outlook), a dialogue box will appear. In the dialogue box select Add. 

You will be redirected to create a New Profile. Provide your "Profile Name" by typing a preferred name into the Profile Name field, then click OK. 

Next, under Auto Account Setup select Manual setup or additional server types, then click Next.
Note: that under "Auto Account Setup" users are provided with two options to select from:
  • Email Account: Selecting this option will automatically configure and set up your email account.
  • Manual setup or additional server types: Manual setup gives the user the opportunity to manually configure their mail setup. Use this option

Clicking Next will redirect you to choose an account type. Select POP or IMAP from the options list and click Next.

Under POP or IMAP you will be required to complete the following fields:
  • User Information: provide your name and email address in the fields provided. 
  • Server Information: use the information previously provided - check under More settings to ensure the correct port numbers for POP or IMAP are correct
  • Logon information: your email address and password
  • After completing the fields, navigate down and click on Next.
  • Click on Finish.

If this fails try using a different email client such as Thunderbird - other options are available.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Niall2
On our wavelength

Hi Sololobo, Thank you. Have already done that. Cheers N

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Niall2

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue registering your email account on Outlook, as advised above - have you tried an alternative email client to see if this works?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs