cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email problems

Forestcharm
Joining in

I’m having problems in that emails from my Blueyonder email address to Yahoo, Sky and Hotmail addresses in particular are going into their spam folders. This is becoming a real problem. Research online has shown that this has been going on for some time. Can anything be done please?

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Forestcharm wrote:

I’m having problems in that emails from my Blueyonder email address to Yahoo, Sky and Hotmail addresses in particular are going into their spam folders.

It has definitely been happening with emails to AOL addresses as well as Yahoo, Sky They all use the same email provider and VM emails were indeed being flagged as spam.

As far as Hotmail.com / Outlook.com emails are concerned I am not so sure. Certainly at the moment emails from my VM email account go straight to my Outlook.com inbox and are not flagged as spam. However, there have been problems in the past. (Outlook.com and Hotmail.com use the same Microsoft service.)

My personal experience with my AOL account was that emails from my VM email account went into AOL's spam folder. However, as soon as I marked them as "Not spam" all subsequent emails from my VM  account went straight to my AOL inbox rather than spam.

I don't know for sure that happens with Yahoo or Sky but since they use the same system as AOL I suspect they work the same way.

Ultimately it is those in charge of the receiving system (AOL/Yahoo/Sky/Microsoft) not the sending system (in this case VM)  who set the criteria for deciding whether an incoming email is flagged as spam.  Having said that, my understanding is that VM are investigating this but there does not seem to be any information on the outcome.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This appears to be a known problem with the email systems run by Yahoo (includes other systems such as AOL). Emails from VM are treated as Spam – and the recipient may not see them if they fail to view their spam folder.

Note that Verizon sold Yahoo etc to Apollo Global earlier this year and this may point to some teething problems under the new owners.

Only progress so far seems to be – here -

See - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/emails-to-yahoo-addresses-are-being-treated-as-spam/td-p/...

- ie - get the recipients to mark your VM email as – “not spam” and future emails will then get through to Inbox. How to do that? Phone them – send a letter – carrier pigeon or snail-mail?

I think VM need prompting to resolve the issue with Yahoo.

@ModTeam  – can you address this please?

Hi thanks for the reply yes I’ve done some research and it looks as if it’s the spam settings of the receivers but it’s still a problem especially if the receivers aren’t tech savvy which a lot of mine aren’t. It needs sorting from VM end surely if this is happening with lots of email addresses. Maybe the Blueyonder email address is no longer fit for purpose? I know if I send emails to someone with a tiscali address for example they don’t even get there they bounce back. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Forestcharm, thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had sending emails to Yahoo, Sky and Hotmail addresses. It's not a wider issue I'm aware of personally - but I'd be happy to raise a ticket with the relevant teams so they can take a closer look into it/provide an update.

Please get back to me via PM (the purple envelope) so we can confirm a few details & we'll take it from there.

Tom 

Hi Tom many thanks but I can see no purple envelope 🤔

Also I’ve found quite a bit online, including on this forum, over the past two or three years where people have been having exactly this problem and been exhorting VM to sort it. 

If you put your cursor on @Tom_F name in his post, you will see his mini profile.
Bottom left of this profile view is a purple envelope with the words "Send Message" next to it.

Ah thanks bluegrunt1 I’m doing this on an iPhone so it’s obviously not possible on their mobile interface. Thanks again I’ll try on my laptop