cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email issue access

mt007a2272
Joining in

Hi, my email is a @blueyonder.co.uk which i have had for years. On friday suddenly i was unable to send or receive, message saying account settings are out of date. I am no longer a customer due to issues with broadband signals, however when i left i was told i could continue to use the blueyonder email and if in the future i was unable to use it, i would be written to with 30 days notice. I have had no such letter, trying to log back in my password is not being recognised and if i try email checker.net i get the response bad?! Please help as all my bills, contacts, work and personal emails come through my blueyonder. 

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

Unfortunately you were badly informed, ie lied to, when you left. The blueyonder address should have been deleted 90 days after you stopped being a customer, there is no provision for non VM broadband customers to continue using any of the VM-branded email addresses. Having said that, VM have been lax in actually deleting these old email addresses, allowing them to linger on for some time before a clean-up process finally catches up with them.

Similarly there has never been an ability to write to ex-customers to let them know that the mailbox would be deleted, once you are no longer a customer, VM have no right to continue holding any information about you (GDPR) so how could they write to you?

The whole thing was just a made-up load of rubbish to get you off the phone - not entirely unheard of!

If an email checker has come back as not responding, then the chances are very high that the address, mailbox and all the emails have already been deleted with no possibility of recovery.

I will, however, escalate this to a member of the forum staff to contact you to check, but I must stress that it is very, very unlikely that they will be able to do anything.

John

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @mt007a2272,

Welcome to the community, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

It is correct what has been said by @jem101, we found a number of email accounts attached to non active Virgin Media accounts, they should of been deactivated after 90 days. We are unable to enable the email on a non active broadband account.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The email address concerned is still showing as valid and accepting emails according to an email checker site.  So this would suggest that whilst access to the account has been locked the email mailbox has not yet been deleted leaving the account in a state of limbo. @Hayley_S  can this be checked out, although I fully accept that you will not be able to enable it the account does need tidying up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mt007a2272,

I'll pop you over a PM so I can double check the account.

Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks

Beth

Beth