cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder and going from Windows Mail app to Outlook

MrsMoose
Tuning in

Windows Mail wants me to migrate to Outlook, but I am encountering all sorts of error messages when I try to do this.

Is there anyone who would like to talk me through this step by step - I am going to have to do this sooner or later.

I understand that my Imap password is the same as the password for my Microsoft account but that is about it. I keep getting messages that my attempts to set up blueyonder on Outlook has failed. But I don't know where the problem lies.

Here are some of the issues.

I don't know if the account password is the one I'd use for Virgin webmail or the newer one I have to use for third party apps.

I don't know if I need to put in 'Imap4' or just 'Imap'. I don't know whether to give the suffix blueyonder.co.uk. or virginmedia.com.

Can someone talk me through this step by step?  Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrsMoose wrote:

Can someone talk me through this step by step? 

See if this helps:

I understand that my Imap password is the same as the password for my Microsoft account

I am not sure what you mean by "Microsoft Account" is this context. But see the answer to your next question ⬇️

I don't know if the account password is the one I'd use for Virgin webmail or the newer one I have to use for third party apps.

Use the one for 3rd party apps. So, that is your IMAP / account password in Outlook. Basically you use it everywhere with your VM email account other than when you access your VM webmail or My Virgin Media accounts.

I don't know if I need to put in 'Imap4' or just 'Imap'. I don't know whether to give the suffix blueyonder.co.uk. or virginmedia.com.

If you use Outlook's  "Add account" option that will fill all the server details in automatically. You normally just have to enter your full email address and the complete mail app password. However, in case you need to enter the details manually, here are VM's email settings for all email apps:

IMAP settings  (Incoming Server)
Host Name: imap.virginmedia.com   (so not IMAP4)
Username: your full Virgin Media email address
Password: your Virgin Media email app password
Advanced settings
SSL Encryption: Enabled
Port: 993 (this may be automatically chosen by selecting SSL encryption)

SMTP settings (Outgoing Server)

Note that in Outlook you have to tick the "My outgoing server requires authentication" and also "Use the same settings as my outgoing server" but the full SMTP settings are:
Host Name: smtp.virginmedia.com
Port: 465 (this might not be selected automating by enabling SSL, so please check)
Authentication: Password

I hope that helps.

Post back with how you get on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrsMoose wrote:

Can someone talk me through this step by step? 

See if this helps:

I understand that my Imap password is the same as the password for my Microsoft account

I am not sure what you mean by "Microsoft Account" is this context. But see the answer to your next question ⬇️

Use the one for 3rd party apps. So, that is your IMAP / account password in Outlook. Basically you use it everywhere with your VM email account other than when you access your VM webmail or My Virgin Media accounts.

If you use Outlook's  "Add account" option that will fill all the server details in automatically. You normally just have to enter your full email address and the complete mail app password. However, in case you need to enter the details manually, here are VM's email settings for all email apps:

IMAP settings  (Incoming Server)
Host Name: imap.virginmedia.com   (so not IMAP4)
Advanced settings
Port: 993 (this may be automatically chosen by selecting SSL encryption)

SMTP settings (Outgoing Server)

Note that in Outlook you have to tick the "My outgoing server requires authentication" and also "Use the same settings as my outgoing server" but the full SMTP settings are:
Host Name: smtp.virginmedia.com
Port: 465 (this might not be selected automating by enabling SSL, so please check)
Authentication: Password

I hope that helps.

Post back with how you get on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

MrsMoose
Tuning in

Done it now. What a relief!  Thank you.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MrsMoose wrote:

Done it now. What a relief!  Thank you.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update - I'm pleased that I could help.

Coenoby