cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder IMAP - Invalid Credentials

Wazza_26
Tuning in

Hi folks,

2 months ago, I was unable to access my Blueyonder account as I had 'invalid IMAP credentials' (despite not changing anything). Fortunately, Adri_G was able to work his magic and after a couple of days - I was back in business.

I'm afraid to report however, I've come up against the same issue. I reported the error two weeks ago to Virgin. I've gone through multiple call centre agents conducting password resets, deleting cache, trying different browsers - all of the basics, none of it has worked.

One agent alluded to the fact my Blueyonder account has been decoupled from my Virgin Media account. An IT ticket was raised (over ten days ago), i've heard nothing on that since.

I've been promised call backs twice but no-one has called back. I've had random disconnects whilst on the phone, no-one bothers to call back. I'm going in circles and tearing my hair out. Everytime i'm handed a new agent, I'm asked to go through the same basic steps. It's clearly not their fault - but i'm making no progress what-so-ever.

This is my primary email account. I need access to it. I can't help but feel that as Blueyonder is now considered a legacy system - Virgin aren't interested in fixing the issue and would rather their customers move on......

Any advice gratefully appreciated. I've tried:

- Clearing cache;
- Using a different machine;
- Resetting my password on MyVM (this only changes my account password, not my mailbox password);
- Connecting via Webmail and Outlook.

I'm confident that the agent is right - my Blueyonder address has been decoupled from my Virgin Media account, which means that when *I*, a member of the public, reset my password via my Virgin Media account settings - it does not link to the mailbox.

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

This is my primary email account. I need access to it. I can't help but feel that as Blueyonder is now considered a legacy system - Virgin aren't interested in fixing the issue and would rather their customers move on......

See this.  And make sure you set up a POP email client to ensure that you download all the emails to a PC.  Some day VM will pull the plug, and IMAP users may find they have a problem.

Pretty much as I expected, Andrew.

I've already learnt my lesson and configured a new Gmail account for this exact reason. Just need access to my old account so I can start to shift bits across. Easier said than done when you've had the email account for 17 years!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Wazza_26 wrote:

Hi folks,

2 months ago, I was unable to access my Blueyonder account as I had 'invalid IMAP credentials' (despite not changing anything). Fortunately, Adri_G was able to work his magic and after a couple of days - I was back in business.

I'm afraid to report however, I've come up against the same issue. I reported the error two weeks ago to Virgin. I've gone through multiple call centre agents conducting password resets, deleting cache, trying different browsers - all of the basics, none of it has worked.

One agent alluded to the fact my Blueyonder account has been decoupled from my Virgin Media account. An IT ticket was raised (over ten days ago), i've heard nothing on that since.

I've been promised call backs twice but no-one has called back. I've had random disconnects whilst on the phone, no-one bothers to call back. I'm going in circles and tearing my hair out. Everytime i'm handed a new agent, I'm asked to go through the same basic steps. It's clearly not their fault - but i'm making no progress what-so-ever.

Any advice gratefully appreciated. I've tried:

- Clearing cache;
- Using a different machine;
- Resetting my password on MyVM (this only changes my account password, not my mailbox password);
- Connecting via Webmail and Outlook.

I'm confident that the agent is right - my Blueyonder address has been decoupled from my Virgin Media account, which means that when *I*, a member of the public, reset my password via my Virgin Media account settings - it does not link to the mailbox.

Looking back at your previous thread you stated that the blueyonder email address was a secondary account but you now say it is the primary account.

If it is actually a secondary account then the method for changing the password has changed.  You posted that changing the password only changes the My VM password.  Well, yes it does, but each VM email address including blueyonder ones now have a separate My VM account accessed using the actual email address and password. So I suggest you try changing the password again but this time make sure that you sign in with the blueyonder email address concerned not any other email address that may be connected to your broadband account.

Each email address now has its own My VM account

Secondary accounts changes now have to be made via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary email.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

If no security answers have been set for the email address concerned then you will need to call in for support and select technical issues> email

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Graham,

Possibly a daft question - is there an easy way to tell which is primary and which is secondary?

My BY account was previously my secondary email but I believe, as part of the efforts to fix my account last time - they updated my BY address to be my primary.

Logging into my Virgin Media account with my BY address, I can see all of the account settings, package details, etc - so I assume this makes it my primary as I would expect these details to be limited on a secondary.

I have also tried the password reset. Whilst it does change the password - again, it only changes it for My Virgin Media account as opposed to the mailbox.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Usually the primary My VM account is the one that when signed in shows the package details and bills etc.  When signed in clicking on Account Settings> Account details> scrolling down to Manage other My VM accounts should show any secondary accounts attached to the broadband account.

It does look as if the previous 'fix' may have led to some unexpected consequences so I think that the VM Forum Team will need to get involved again. They should respond sometime this weekend.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your response Graham.

Neither my Blueyonder or Virginmedia address are appearing under the 'Manage my other VM accounts' list, so yes - I assume the previous fix may have led to some unexpected behaviors.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Wazza_26,

We are very sorry for the issues you are facing, we appreciate this must be frustrating. 

I have taken a look and can see you are currently within a private message with my colleague. 

They will continue to assist you privately and get back to you as soon as possible. 

Thank you, 

Nat