cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder Email account stopped working

mandyS1
Tuning in

My husbands Blueyonder email address removed has stopped working suddenly with the Error: Cannot connect to the server, it is very important this continues to work as it is his work email as A PC Repairer. The help section is a mine field and can't get anywhere with it. I hope a VM Forum Member can help me solve the issue please. VERY URGENT

11 REPLIES 11

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mandyS1 wrote:

My husbands Blueyonder email address removed has stopped working suddenly with the Error: Cannot connect to the server,

The forum moderators have redacted your email address - posting an email address on an open forum is a good way to get lots of spam emails.😉

Two questions:

1) Do you and your husband have a Virgin Media broadband contract?

2) What error message comes up when trying to access your husband's email account directly on the VM website? You can use this link to do that https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

I am sorry but cannot help but comment that I am surprised that anyone running an IT business would rely using the very basic  free email service provided by an Internet Service Provider. (I will gloss over the fact VM actually say in their terms and conditions that their Residential Broadband service should not be used for business purposes. 🙂)

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, mandyS1,

Can you confirm the if your husband has any media services with us currently? Also has he tried a password reset as this can sometimes bring the mailbox back online https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password

Cheers,

Corey C

OK ouch, punches taken on the chin. Business with a small b to be honest a part time side line, non the less it is the email he uses and it has suddenly stopped working after many years of use and he was dealing with customers in Spain when it went down. We have been customers of this cable company since it was first laid outside our house by Telewest, my husband has used this email address for many years without issue.

My Husband (Graham) had a contract with you originally but 2 years ago I took it over. So in short yes I have a Virgin Media contract and still use my Blueyonder email which is working perfectly. My husband as you are aware works with computers and assures me he has not changed any settings, not changed passwords and to answer your second question the message he receives is 'ERROR:  Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or ISP', Which we have tried to do with no joy hence my shout out for help on here.

Despite your reservations as to why he uses this address I hope you can solve the issue so he can.

Thanks for your help on this Coenoby it is very much appreciated

Mandy

He has not tried a password reset, as he is of the firm believe this will not make any difference and the issue is your end with the server

Mandy

Sorry yes forgot the second part of the reply, YES I am the account holder with Virgin for TV, Broadband and phone

Mandy

Mandy

As the account holder the first thing you need to do is to log into your my.virginmedia.com account and check to see if the email address in question is properly linked to it - I believe the option is under Manage Accounts (as this would be a secondary account). If it is there, then contrary to what your husband might believe, resetting the password can actually kick it into life.

If the address is not listed then the likelihood is that it has become an orphaned account - probably from when you switched accounts and in that case it is prone to being deleted.

John

Spoiler
Thank you John, I will explain that to Graham. Though the account changed over two years ago and his email has only just failed in the last few days. I know nothing about it so he will try what you suggest.

Thanks

Mandy

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mandyS1 

Thanks for coming back on this. (Just for information I am not a VM employee just someone who tries to help fellow VM customers with their email problems.)

You say - "To answer your second question the message he receives is 'ERROR: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or ISP',"

Is that the error he gets when he uses the link I gave https://mail2.virginmedia.com/   to sign in with the Blueyonder email address & password that has stopped working?

The reason I ask is that (based on previous experience) the error message your husband is getting looks as if it is being produced by an email app or client, maybe Thunderbird or MS Outlook that he uses to manage his email.

Or it could be that he uses the option to manage multiple email accounts within VM Webmail and he is getting that error on one of them.  I'm sorry to sound complicated but remember, I cannot see what you and he are doing or seeing.

Basically that error message is just saying "computer says NO!!"  It does not give the underlying reason for the failure to  connect and there  could be many reasons for that, antivirus, firewall or a problem with the software your husband is using.

However, one reason and one that lots of VM customers are reporting, is that the Blueyonder email account itself has been locked by VM.

A quick way to check that is to sign in to the account directly on the VM website using that problem Blueyonder address & password and see what (if any) error message VM itself reports. If you can get in we need to look further at the email app or client your husband is using.

If it is the same problem everyone-else is seeing he will be get an error message "Your mailbox is not available at the moment............" and that can often be resolved by a password reset.

If that's not the error you get then we need to go into things a bit further.

By the way, I did not intend to throw any punches in my first post. I really was just expressing my surprise .🙂

To be honest with you, I have been a customer of VM a long time (my original email account from them is an @ntlworld address). However, I have only ever used VM email for communication from and with VM themselves. Believe me, VM may offer a great broadband service but there are much better free email services out there even for purely personal use.

I'm sorry to go on - I won't be offended if you ignore my ramblings. 😀

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No its all good, thanks for the effort to help.

We will try all the options mentioned

Cheers

Mandy