Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Blocking a domain in E-mail Filters

Hiya!

Many know the problems with receiving spam e-mail and the way spammers try to get around filters and blacklists, I have filters set up but seem to be having trouble setting up one kind of filter.

At the moment, I am being inundated with spam containing only images, I have set up various filters for 'Bit Coin, BTN, BTC, Canadian Pharmacy' etc and these sometimes work but I have noticed the spammers flavour of the month domain is passing these filters.  Instead of blacklisting the individual sender, which in itself is futile as the spammers only change the sender to random letters, I am trying to block a whole domain with little success.

I am trying to completely block any e-mail from 'XXXX@example.com', where the XXXX is any name from that domain (I have used example.com as not to upset anyone, so they say 'You can't publish a domain name blah blah blah'.   I have tried 

'From..........Contains *@example.com' and 'From..........Contains @example.com' with very limited success.  Does anyone have the definitive answer or can point me in the right direction please?

Yours

Andy C

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Blocking a domain in E-mail Filters

The community (especially Boothy99) came up with some good ways to refine a single filter.  It might be in this thread somewhere - we had a lot of threads going earlier this year.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Filter-Syntax/m-p/4152534#M186455  (Search Boothy99's posts if that link is not good enouth.)  The good thing in that filter is it uses the colour flag, so you know when YOU are filtering, and then when the VM spam filter starts working, the flag won't appear.

Once your address is on a spammers list, it will never come off, so do be careful where you use it!

Anything that gets to my inbox, I use the approach to:

• Mark it as Spam in webmail to assist VM's filter.
  • Then if I get multiples/repeats from the same domain, I add the domain to the single filter.
  • And I always report spam to spamcop.net.  They gather reports and inform the host that has been infiltrated.  Obviously, spammers just move on to new insecure servers, but I like to think I'm helping make the internet a little safer here and there.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Blocking a domain in E-mail Filters

@icantgetaloggin wrote:

I am trying to completely block any e-mail from 'XXXX@example.com', where the XXXX is any name from that domain (I have used example.com as not to upset anyone, so they say 'You can't publish a domain name blah blah blah'.   I have tried 

'From..........Contains *@example.com' and 'From..........Contains @example.com' with very limited success.  Does anyone have the

Posting a domain name does not contravene forum rules / etiquette except where malicious when care must be taken to post as plain text.

Characters with special meaning have no place in a Contains condition so the former rule in your post will only be true if the sender email address contains the text ★@example.com which is unlikely. To troubleshoot the latter rule try:

• set the condition to Contains example.com
  • add a Set flag colour action to provide a visual indicator of the rule having been matched against the incoming message delivered to your Inbox

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped