cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklist

liz30538
Superfast

Hi I get lots of spam emails and I have been blacklisting them . When I tried to blacklist one tonight I got a message saying I had exceeded my blacklist limit and to delete some addresses. I don’t want to do that and get more spam. Can anyone help. Why on earth has virgin put a limit on how many addresses you can blacklist. Not very customer friendly 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is a good idea to use easily disposable email addresses from a email supplier other than your ISP, when using online shopping etc, in order to limit the potential damage if their systems get hacked and your email address goes viral.

There does seem to be an epidemic of spam hitting some VM email addresses currently.  It doesn't appear to be caused by a breach in data security at the VM end as the current spam issue is not affecting all VM email users.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hi liz30538,

Glad to hear it's sorted for you 👌👍. I noticed that too, recently ... Mr NextEmail & Mrs Moma stopped sending last Tuesday / Wednesday (unless they're on a brief holiday 😉 ). mightynetworks.com and the newly posh-hyphenated info.deal-mates.com have taken their place for now. Probably one and the same scuz 😂 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

50 REPLIES 50

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The blacklist function provided by VM's webmail supplier is rudimentary and only works on emails not already detected as spam by Cloudmark.

If your VM email address has been picked up by the spammers then sadly you will continue to receive this crap until the spammers move on to other targets.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The poor performance of Virgin Media's spam filters has led to the overuse of filter rules (including Blacklist sender) to compensate leading to unforeseen consequences like hitting limits. Also keep in mind that the Blacklist sender filter rule has moved matching messages from your Inbox to your Spam folder and this may have led to the spam filter learning to identify those message as spam making the blacklist sender entry redundant — what a kludge.

IMHO if more than a handful of filter rules are in use to manage spam it is probably time to find a new email service provider.

Thanks for the info. I have thought about changing my email but so many companies I shop with have my current one that it’s going to be a real pain to do. One of the problems is that the spammers keep changing the first part of the email address and VM puts messages straight into my inbox. The only thing I can think of doing is to set up a filter rule on the virgin server but it is so time consuming 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is a good idea to use easily disposable email addresses from a email supplier other than your ISP, when using online shopping etc, in order to limit the potential damage if their systems get hacked and your email address goes viral.

There does seem to be an epidemic of spam hitting some VM email addresses currently.  It doesn't appear to be caused by a breach in data security at the VM end as the current spam issue is not affecting all VM email users.

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi liz30538,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

I will private message you to get some details and see if I can help further. 

^Martin

liz30538
Superfast

Looking for some advice. I posted earlier on about the blacklist cap being limited. I raised a complaint with VM about this last July. They have basically told me that there is nothing they can do. I took it to CISAS. VM offered reimbursement of £150 which I refused. They have now come back with an offer of £345, but have not addressed the issues of 
1 Removing the blacklist cap

2 emails which aren’t even addressed to me but are coming through to my inbox 

3 emails which use my son’s name but are coming from Russia 

I have been told by CISAS that if I accept the monetary offer the cases will be closed 

I am still getting 4-5 spam emails per day.

i have even tried setting up a filter in outlook but one in particular is still coming through. From noreply@nextemail.co.uk They keep changing the numbers at the front and sometimes it comes through with a long list of via’s

i would appreciate any advice as to whether I should accept the offer or reject it.

Honestly, just take the money!

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

Agreed.

Then delete and set up your filters again.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

@MikeRobbo wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

Agreed.

Then delete and set up your filters again.

I also agree - Boothy99 has rounded up lots of advice from other users regarding good self-filtering.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Filter-Syntax/m-p/4140622#M185395.  Or read any of his/her other posts over the past few months.