Menu
Bail69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Being prompted for user name & password

I have a number of ntlworld emails and they've worked fine for many years on laptops, macs, iphones, etc. Approx 2 months ago I started getting a prompt for username and password when sending emails. No problem receiving emails. Similar prompt whether using laptop (outlook), iphone (mail), etc. and effecting all ntlworld email accounts. Prompt was telling me my username/password was incorrect and to enter it again. Clearly some sort of Virgin problem, since there is no way I would have inadvertently changed setup on every device for all ntlworld email accounts

I had another non virgin email account, so used that for a short while.

After 1-2 days the problem appeared to fix itself.

However, problem has returned again today. 

Checked my setup and smtp server setup is correct. I'm tempted to just leave it and hope it fixes itslef again ?

Anyone else experiencing intermittent issues with email username/password prompts appearing ? If so, what was the advice from Virgin ?

Taverymuch

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Being prompted for user name & password

Can you still access VM webmail in a browser and does sending and receiving work there? https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

Email clients don't always give a useful error code so please follow the advice in this thread and get the VM xxx error code from Outlook.  Then the superusers can use the code to advise if it is a self-help fix, or if virgin need to get involved.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Another thing to check while you ar at it - is your home PUBLIC IP address on the spamhaus CSS blacklist?  Do you find you can send from devices if broadband is off - i.e using data access? or someone else's wifi and IP address?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear.

Read this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/SMTP-not-working-IP-Blocked/td-p/4087738

Use Outlook and turn on logging to retrieve the VM server response to sending mail. We are looking for the VM3xx response.

If you see VM305 then follow the guidance to check your home IP against the Spamhaus SBL listing. If you are advised that you are on the SBLCSS listing then you have a spambot on your system somewhere which is sending out low level spam. You'd never know otherwise. You will have to track it down and deal with it or VM will continue to refuse to relay mail sent through E-mail programs. If you can send via VM's web mail this will provide evidence that you have a spambot on your system. VM web mail sending is not affected by IP listings on Spamhaus SBLCSS.

On the other hand there could be other causes for what is happening. If you do not see VM305 as the response on the log then come back and tell us what code you are seeing.

I'll repeat the link to the logging instructions:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Bail69 wrote:

After 1-2 days the problem appeared to fix itself.

However, problem has returned again today. 

Reading your post again - this combination of facts makes me think the spambot malware went to sleep for a little while and woke up again - Superuser HowardML has given you better links than I did - you have some action to take - let us know if you need help.  We don't want spam spreading all over (or worse), do we!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'm not going to allow MissPasko to disparage her own advice😇. It was spot on. And she is right that if the spambot goes quiet, which they do because the person controlling them doesn't want suspicions raised, which they don't, then the SBLCSS Listing will be deleted after about 2 days and reinstated as soon as the spamming is detected again. Fits your case exactly.

The only slight quibble might be that we are now VIPs not Superusers. We are still the same VM users, not staff,  who just like to help and who have been doing so at a high level for along time. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Bail69
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Mank thanks. I've done as you and HowardML suggested :

Tried sending email via VM webmail - worked ok, no problem.

Also tried sending ntlworld email using iphone network - worked ok, no problem

Turned on logging for outlook and got the following message in the log - "<rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)".

So it looks like we have a spambot somewhere on one or more of the devices.

Before I try identify which device(s) are infected and take action, is the following link you provided the best/quickest solution for getting rid of the spambots:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

The instructions look lengthy and fairly complicated - wanted to check there wasn't an easy shortcut to removing bots.

Many thanks again to you & HowardML

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes the process is long and complex (at least I think so) but it has been tested and it is proved effective. It has shown up infected Firesticks, a Sony Smart TV and a PC as some of the devices sending spam. There seem to be no easy answers here. The technique will reveal spam bot activity and presence that isn't picked up even by the best of the malware scanners available. But if you wanted to run malwarebytes as a first step just in case the spam bot is not covering its tracks that well then there is nothing to stop you. But absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. 

Two VIPs and a very knowledgeable VM user all cooperated in developing the technique. I don't envy you. But if you don't deal with the spam bot you will never fully recover from the blacklisting.

And listen, you coped with Outlook logging so you are clearly competent. Well done for that.

Finally you can always post back here with questions and requests for further advice if you get stuck. You'll get the help you need.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:

The only slight quibble might be that we are now VIPs not Superusers. We are still the same VM users, not staff,  who just like to help and who have been doing so at a high level for along time. 

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Bail69
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming and the very welcome encouragement ! Disconnected everything from the network and will reserve some time to sort this tomorrow.

I may well be back here tomorrow .....

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Bail69 

We'll be here to help.  Just remember - take it a step at a time.  It looks long and complex but it is a carefully organised plan.

Check PC first
Check other devices.

As Howard said - if you can do Outlook logging, you've made a start. 😉

If you'd have asked me seven years ago, how email worked - I couldn't have told you.  We all have to start somewhere.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks