Menu
wismarboy1
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Another Virgin.net e-mail address problem....

For many years I was a Virgin broadband customer and had a virgin.net e-mail address and a few years ago these were being transferred to Talk Talk so I contacted Talk Talk and they told me that broadband from them was not available in my area,as I live in a rural community.So I found a new internet provider that was able to connect me.

Virgin told me that I could keep my virgin.net e-mail address which is good because I have many of my contact addresses on there,I also have google e-mail ace-maillount which I use very rarely,have combined these on incredimail e-mail collecter but my contact e-mail addresses are not on there,virgin.net is still my principal e-mail address and am able to send and receive virgin.net with no problem.

The problem arises when I try to login in to virgin media and put in my virgin.net e-mail address and password which were saved and in the past has not been a problem usually straight in to my virgin.net account and tells me that the e-mail address or password are incorrect though I had saved these.

I tried to reset my password but it needed my account no and area code ,but as I am no longer a virgin customer,through no fault of my own I do not have either.

I phoned Virgin media for help and they told me that these .net addresses had been transferred to Talk Talk and suggested I contacted them which I did they told me that they did not have the old virgin.net information on file and I was not a customer of theirs,again through no fault of my own,they were unable to help.

Can someone please tell me how I can get this resolved as I need to access these mail addresses in my address book urgently to send a group e-mail out. please help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another Virgin.net e-mail address problem....

VM lied. You should of lost your Email address 90- days after you left or 1 year after the moved to talk talk.

Its always been int he T&C that top use vm email you must be a VM internet customer.

You days of using the email are over. If you still have access through a phone/laptop you should move all your emails you need asap as the webmail not working is the first step in the email being deleted

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm what @apcyberax - whoever you spoke to at Virgin Media was wrong.

Virgin Media has always had a policy where to continue using their email service, you HAD to have internet through Virgin Media.  anyone who closes their account SHOULD lose access after 90 days.

The ONLY exception to this policy were those who did successfully transfer to TalkTalk - they were allowed to continue using their existing email addresses, BUT ONLY FOR 12 MONTHS instead of the 90 days (presumably to be in line with TalkTalk's own policy regarding email use after account closure).  That 12 months expired a few years ago BTW.

You can try using an IMAP client to grab your mails from the server but as has been stated, the Email address itself is deceased, gone, pushing up daisies, it is an ex-email, it is no more.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

FYI: webmail's Address Books are only accessible through webmail. Best option is to try IMAP access, as suggested by ravenstar68, and reconstruct your address book from the email messages therein.

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi wismarboy1,

So sorry about this, but the advice already provided is correct.

You will only be able to access your email account via a mail client or app. Webmail access via the VM website will not work.

But, you will need to know what the credentials are as we are unable to reset these for you. 

Here are some links to help you set up a client:

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

wismarboy1
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Then why through Incredimail  are my e-mails sent and received through virgin.net this is my main e-mail address so its coming from somebody's server.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Incredimail is an imap client AFAIK

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@wismarboy1 wrote:

Then why through Incredimail  are my e-mails sent and received through virgin.net this is my main e-mail address so its coming from somebody's server.

As Appy has said Incredimail is a POP3/IMAP/SMTP client.

Webmail and IMAP/POP3 use different login paths.  This allows account closure to work in stages, If Virgin Media wanted to, they could have locked out everything at once.  Instead they chose to close webmail access first, which gives people time to get mails off the system via IMAP before the account is irrevocably closed.

In short closing web mail in effect gives you notice that you need to:

1. Rescue your emails before they've gone for good.
2. Find another email address (preferably one that's NOT linked to a Broadband account).

You have a choice.

Sit here and waste time arguing.
Take action to find a new email address and notify everyone.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.