cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert re spam content in email

KenFreeman
Joining in

I have an ongoing complaint with my energy supplier but just lately whenever I try to reply to their emails I get the following alert:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) vePplvD0pf8ydvePplvGvN. Please check the message and try again.

What do I need to do to get my emails sent?

11 REPLIES 11

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@KenFreeman wrote:

What do I need to do to get my emails sent?

One thing that would be worth trying is to create a new email to reply to the energy supplier rather than using the "Reply" option. It could be something in their email which is tripping VM's outgoing spam filter. Bizarrely, VM's outgoing spam filter seems more restrictive than their filter on incoming emails.

As long as you quote the supplier's references in your reply they should be able to track it back.

If that does not work and there is some urgency about replying to them, you may need to use a non VM email account.

You can create a Gmail account here:   https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56256?hl=en 

Or an Outlook.com account here:  https://outlook.live.com/owa/ 

but other free email accounts are available.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

Creating a new email worked OK but it's a bit bizarre that Virgin have stricter filters on outgoing mail than they have on incoming mail (none of the emails from my energy supplier have ever been marked as spam).

Hoping that someone from support might be able to explain this and also arrange for the filters to be updated to stop this from happening in the first place.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Should the spam filters have failed to automatically clear the false positive after 24 hours post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there @KenFreeman

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to see this has happened. 

Can I ask how things are looking today? Are you now able to send the email at all? 

Thank you. 

Hi @Ashleigh_C,

I've just tried again and the filter problem still exists - the message I got this time was:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) yXNel4BEsH5tryXNelNFDt. Please check the message and try again.

Regards
Ken

Thank you for that information Ken. 

And to confirm this is just for responding to emails. Brand new emails work fine?

^Martin

Hi,

You are correct that it only happens when I reply to an email I've received from the energy company.

In order to ensure that the recipient has the whole story I've resorted creating new emails for my reply and attaching a PDF of the email trail.

Thanks
Ken

Thank you for that information. 

Do you have the issue with responding to other emails or just the energy company?

^Martin 

Hi,

I haven't had the issue responding to any other emails - just the ones from my energy company.

Thanks
Ken