Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Account Mailbox locked

bluetones
Joining in

Hi,

I received an email entitled - 

[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

This is for a secondary email account used by a member of my family.

I've tried various options to reset this password however none work.  Can someone from VM support please contact me and assist please.

Thx,

7 REPLIES 7

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey bluetones. thanks for posting on our help forum.

We're sorry to hear of this problem with your email account access, if you received this message from our security team the best way to restore this issue is by following the below steps:

a) scan your devices used to access your emails and account with us for virus and malware.
b) once you ensure they're clear, go to this page and select 'I forgot my password' to change this to a new one.

Important: please note the new password must be a brand new and secure one, that has not been used before for this account. 
If you set a password used previously on this, you may be locked out of the account again.

Please, kindly try this and let us know if it works and if you managed to gain access to your mailbox after this.
Glad to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri,

Thanks for your assistance but unfortunately this hasn't worked.  The issue isn't with my Primary account but an additional/secondary account used by a family member.  The only option I can see allows me to Delete this account but nothing else.  When I try to reset my password for this account it doesn't accept any validation information.

I see others have had similar issues and have required assistance via a private message - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Secondary-email-password-reset/m-p/5082634#M241479.

Many thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bluetones wrote:

The issue isn't with my Primary account but an additional/secondary account used by a family member.  The only option I can see allows me to Delete this account but nothing else. When I try to reset my password for this account it doesn't accept any validation information.

VM have changed the way you reset the password on a secondary email account:

Use this link  https://virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media   to enter the email address and the existing password of the secondary email account. That should take you to the My Virgin Media Account for that secondary account rather than your primary account. (All VM email accounts have their own My Virgin Media Account, the only difference is that those for secondary email accounts do not allow you to view the VM bills and package for the linked broadband account.)

Once you are in there, go to the "Account details" section as you did with your primary account. You will see that you now have the option to edit the password for that secondary account.

If you have already tried that but been unsuccessful then post back and one of the Forum Team will take this up for you.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks again for the support.  We are still unable to login with the password we have.  Trying Forgotton password doesn’t work either as it won’t accept and correct identification answers.  

The email says the account is locked and so far I can see no way of resetting it.  

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bluetones wrote:

We are still unable to login with the password we have. 

Sorry to come back again but just to clarify the above statement, are you saying:

1. you have tried logging in with the secondary account credentials via the link I posted and it is saying the account is locked   or,
  2. that you still cannot log directly into the email account itself?

The sign in page to the secondary email account's My Virgin Media account (which is what I posted) is not the same as the sign in page to access the email account itself. In theory, you should still be able to sign into the My Virgin Media account even when the associated email account is locked.

Regarding the Forgotten password reset option, sadly that does seem, shall we say, "flawed" as you have discovered.

Resetting VM an email account password is always best done via the secondary email account's My Virgin Media account rather than the Forgotten Password route. However, that does rely on you knowing the current password and of course often people need to reset a password because they have forgotten the existing one!

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi bluetones, 

Thanks for coming back and explaining things a little more. 

We can certainly check this out for you and manually reset the password but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi bluetones, 

Thanks for sticking with me via private message and confirming things are resolved for you now. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team