cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding virginmedia.com email to gmail account

msfurry
Tuning in

Hello,

I've recently got a new Amazon Fire HD10 and I'm unable to work out how to add my Virgin Media email account to my gmail which I managed to do on my previous tablet

Grateful for any help

Thanks 🙂

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks very much for all your help! I've managed to add the account and I can see the inbox now which is great but unfortunately I can't see my sent items or any folders.. do you know what I need to do? I've had a good look because I didn't want to trouble you further but I'm stumped 😶

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@msfurry wrote:

I can't see my sent items or any folders.. do you know what I need to do? I've had a good look because I didn't want to trouble you further but I'm stumped 😶

Sadly you will remain stumped. 😞

There are two protocols that can be used to download emails from an email account. 

One is called IMAP and allows you to fully synchronise your email account across a number of devices.That allows you to see all folders and is what you are looking for.

The other is called POP3 which only picks up the emails from your inbox which is what you are seeing.

Sadly, the web version of Gmail only allows you to use POP3.  If you look at the server settings that Gmail has set up for your VM account you will see that it is using pop3.virginmedia.com.  There is no option to use IMAP. That's a limitation with Gmail.

VM email accounts do support IMAP, in fact I think that these days IMAP has become the one most people use. 

The mobile app version of Gmail which we touched on earlier does support IMAP but you seem to have had compatibility issues with that.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks again for taking the time to help

😉 👍

Yes that all makes sense..

In fact I had the app on my previous tablet so was used to that version