Menu
skidderowe
Tuning in
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding an additional email account

Ok, so it wouldn't let me save without a name and so I just put @, as you suggested. Two quick questions;

1. Should I have included the " symbols in the value   "v=spf1 include:_smtp.virginmedia.com ~all"

2. What is a CMD window??

Did I say my knowledge was limited !!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

That's 3 questions!!

1. Normally I enter without the " symbols - when you look afterwards you will often see them there anyway.

2. Are you using windows?  If so type CMD into the search bar and press Enter.

3. You did - but you never learn if you don't try. Smiley Wink

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

2. Are you using windows?  If so type CMD into the search bar and press Enter.

Those of us brought up on CP/M and MS or PC DOS remember fondly command line (CMD) operating systems!  Just an aside.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If it makes you feel any better - I still remember upgrading the memory in my 386 PC and being afraid to turn the thing on.

Tim

Edit - Oh the halcyon days when 4MB of memory was considered a lot.

ROFL.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Either you guys are young or I'm ancient. My early PCs had at most 640KB of RAM. When PCs with 1MB came in, there was 384KB of upper memory into which I used to load Terminate and Stay Resident programs such as device drivers to maximise precious RAM for applications such as Lotus 1-2-3.

And it never occurred to me that MS-DOS was ugly as some people said, it's what you used to get things done. Even today it can still be occasionally handy to create a batch file of DOS commands and run it from my Windows 10 Command Prompt.

Oh, happy days. OK, I'm ancient.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Either you guys are young or I'm ancient. My early PCs had at most 640KB of RAM. When PCs with 1MB came in, there was 384KB of upper memory into which I used to load Terminate and Stay Resident programs such as device drivers to maximise precious RAM for applications such as Lotus 1-2-3.

And it never occurred to me that MS-DOS was ugly as some people said, it's what you used to get things done. Even today it can still be occasionally handy to create a batch file of DOS commands and run it from my Windows 10 Command Prompt.

Oh, happy days. OK, I'm ancient.

This thread is going way off topic.  I suspect a large number of the SUs are in the same ancient category, I await being flamed by my co SUs for this comment.

My first experience with computers was using a pencil to block out blobs on a card so that the local tech college could run our basic programming.  A week later they often came back with an error as the card had been completed incorrectly.  Then came the BBC (Acorn) Micro. Circa 1981.

skidderowe
Tuning in
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Tim,

I followed your instructions and all seems to be working well, so thanks again for your help and patience!!

Just one issue which I don't know if there is a simple fix for... when I send an email as @mydomain.co.uk it shows to the recipient as coming from that email address, but the name shown is my ntlworld name. Is there a way to change that so that I can show my business domain name to match the email address??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

What have you got on the first page here (In the highlighted section)

That's the display name that appears alongside whatever email address you have.

You can only have one for all addresses that you are using to send under the same account

Imap1.PNG

Tim

skidderowe
Tuning in
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

It's like yours Tim, it's my own name that's displayed. It's not the end of the world as I can just put my business name in the signature.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Just remember - You can change that name if you so choose.  So if you want your company name there - just change it.

0 Kudos