Menu
Highlighted
JohnOrrett
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Adding additional email

Hi all, I am trying to set up a new email address. My current one is blueyonder.co.uk and I realise that a new one has to be virginmedia.com.

I have an unusual surname, but when I put the preferred email address in, it says it is taken. It then gave me a list of alternatives, a dot in the middle, '1' at the end etc. 

I spoke to VM tech support on 150, and whilst I was on the phone, I tried a couple of alternatives which were available, but within 2 minutes of being on the call had been taken. 

I am a bit paranoid as I had my primary email address hacked a couple of months ago, and want to ensure that someone has not set up a virginmedia.com account and pretending to be me, as they have chosen exactly what my Blueyonder one is but with Virginmedia.

The lady could not give me any information on that email address, and fobbed me off with lots of alternatives, and even suggested that someone was setting up a new Virginmedia.com email at the same time as I was on the phone to her. Highly unlikely with my surname.

Is there any way I can check this 'rogue' email address and account is genuine?

Oh, I cleared my cache and cookies, and all of the ones that had been showing and then saying taken are now showing again, except for the one that I actually want! I have now just tried it again and the others are now showing as being unavailable again. Weird. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding additional email

Talk about multiplying entities necessarily.

You cannot create a new virginmedia.com address if you or any one else who is also you (ie has the same name as you) uses the same prefix name (the name before the @ symbol) as an existing legacy address, which includes blueyonder. That ban was put in place by VM ages ago when they thought they would try and unify all e-mail addresses around the new domain name but found it technically unfeasible.

The system has responded to you in exactly the way it should. But no one at VM now has the collective memory to explain why. But we do.

The reason why addresses seem taken quickly is that any attempt to create an address which is not subsequently proceeded with will lock out that address for about 24 hours and give the system response you saw.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
JohnOrrett
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant and succinct explanation Howard, many thanks.

Its just a pity that the staff in the call centre haven't a clue!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is a pity that you seek to criticise the call centre staff for not knowing an obscure fact about the e-mail system that was relevant when VM was formed from the acquisition of Virgin Mobile by NTL/Telewest and re-branding as VM. That was in 2006. Who of the call centre staff now would have around then? A little more consideration for the poor call centre staff might be appreciated. This unlikely and rare  issue was unlikely to be have been available in their decision support system.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
JohnOrrett
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I take your point Howard Smiley Embarassed

I have worked in business for over 25 years with Call centre staff, and have absolute admiration and respect for the thankless job that they do. The software my firm uses has been about for 20 years, and as you rightly point out, they can not know everything about legacy systems or software. I was very polite with her throughout the call and I appreciate that some staff have more experience than others.

Saying that, it would have been preferable for her to say 'I don't know' and escalate the query and get back to me, rather than making unlikely assumptions if the answer was not on her decision support system.

Regards, John

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Now I agree with you entirely. And I have given you kudos as well.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks