cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account is closed after leaving but still getting scam spam forwarded

stevesmith099
Tuning in

I left VM media over a year ago, occasionally now though I get scam type spam mail that appears to be sent to my old ntlworld.com address appearing in my current email account. Can this be being forwarded in some way? My current email account is not set up to collect this mail and there should be no connection from one to the other. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stevesmith099 wrote:

I left VM media over a year ago, occasionally now though I get scam type spam mail that appears to be sent to my old ntlworld.com address appearing in my current email account. Can this be being forwarded in some way? My current email account is not set up to collect this mail and there should be no connection from one to the other. Any ideas?

Do you recall setting up email forwarding from the old ntlworld email address to your new one?  It is possible that the old ntlworld email address hasn't been fully deleted yet by VM.  Although this is supposed to happen 90 days after you close the broadband account they can sometimes remain open for a lot longer.

If you send an email to the old ntlworld address you should get a non delivery message if the account has been closed. If you don't get one and the email that you sent gets forwarded to your current address this will confirm that the account is still open.

Report back here with the results and depending on what the are the VM Forum Team should be able to assist further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@stevesmith099 wrote:

Do you recall setting up email forwarding from the old ntlworld email address to your new one?  It is possible that the old ntlworld email address hasn't been fully deleted yet by VM.  Although this is supposed to happen 90 days after you close the broadband account they can sometimes remain open for a lot longer.

If you send an email to the old ntlworld address you should get a non delivery message if the account has been closed. If you don't get one and the email that you sent gets forwarded to your current address this will confirm that the account is still open.

Report back here with the results and depending on what the are the VM Forum Team should be able to assist further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post @stevesmith099, and welcome back to our Community Forums!

Sorry to hear of the issues with the former E-Mail account.

Can you please confirm if you've been able to run the test advised by @Graham_A to see what result is generated?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

First of all, I've had to be away for a couple days so sorry for not coming back straight away. Many thanks for your concern, a message sent to my old s*********************@ntlworld.com has come straight back to me, at my current email address, so there must be some kind of forwarding on the ntl account. It looks like it's not fully closed down

Thank you, Graham, I never thought of that. I've tried it and the message gets forwarded to my present email, so it looks like the account isn't fully closed, and that there is a forwarding address set up.

Hi there @stevesmith099

Thanks for checking and I'm so sorry to hear that the old email is still active, would you like me to look into having this fully closed for you?

If so I can pop you a PM so we can look into this?

Hi, Yes please if you wouldn't mind

Hi stevesmith099

Thanks for coming back to us, will send you a PM now

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @stevesmith099

Thanks for joining me on PM and providing me the details so I can log this with the IT team. 

They'll go ahead and delete the email address given.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John,

Thanks very much for this, I've had some more emails in the last couple of days to the ntlworld address with links in them proporting to be from my wife, obviously we know she hasnt sent them, somebody is definitely up to no good.