cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to secondary email account

Bobmacq
Joining in

I have a problem with email accounts. My wife has a secondary account but is unable to access to change password etc. When I could access all the secondary accounts obviously it was easy. We know the password and mothers name and date of birth. These are obviously correct but it refuses to accept them.

The emails are all @ntlworld is that causing the problem? Can someone help please.

i can access the main email account .

Thanks

Bob

5 REPLIES 5

jem101
Superstar

@Bobmacq wrote:

I have a problem with email accounts. My wife has a secondary account but is unable to access to change password etc. When I could access all the secondary accounts obviously it was easy. We know the password and mothers name and date of birth. These are obviously correct but it refuses to accept them.

The emails are all @ntlworld is that causing the problem? Can someone help please.

i can access the main email account .

Thanks

Bob

No the issue isn't that it is an ntlworld.com account, it is because your wife's email address is a 'secondary' one to your, presumable the 'main' address. Last year VM re-jigged the way email accounts work, in as much as 'secondary' accounts are no longer directly managed by the primary account holder. So to reset a password for a secondary account you need to know the DoB etc. for the 'secondary account holder' and these details have to have been first registered with VM. The likelihood is that this hasn't ever been done, and why should it have been? For example you want to change the password for secondary@ntlworld.com, you follow the 'forgotten password link' and enter the required details but these are tied to the primary@ntlworld.com address and hence won't work.

Unfortunately, unless your wife has already set up these details, it will never work and your only option is to throw yourself on the mercy of VM's customer service provision and get them to reset the password - and hope they don't ignore your request and change the password for your, primary account instead!

Now some people might think that this level of lack of 'joined up thinking', can't possibly be deliberate, and has to be an accident due to nobody having thought it through - well, you can say? Not a good look either way!

I know all about the change to secondary accounts. My wife had set up all the info at VM and has a record of dob password mothers name etc. if she tries to login using those details it does not recognise them at all!

so looks like long phone call.

Thanks for reply

Bob

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bobmacq, 

Thank you for your post, I am sorry you are having issues with your secondary email. 

Have you spoken to our team since your post? Please let us know and we will do our best to assist.

Zoie

Hi Zoie

Tried phone but was asked for passcode that was used at setup. Automated reply. The only information I could give would be password and it was rejected.

Bob

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Bobmacq,

Thanks for coming back to us. Sorry to hear that this has been your experience with this issue so far.

Have you taken a look to see if our Manager your Email Account page can help you manage the secondary email on your account?

Please take a look and let us know how you get on.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs