cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AGAIN.. Unable to send or receive emails

Rossmci
Tuning in

My wife had an issue with her email account last month due to her account being locked as it was sending SPAM. After a week it was resolved by someone resetting her password for her.

This time, there has been no notification about SPAM being issued but she is getting all the same error messages "no password in server settings" and unable to login to my myvirginmedia etc as username and password is not being recognised. 

Can someone please help with this as my wife is in communication with recruiters as she is being made redundant in 7 weeks so needs to be able to access her emails.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is she using an iPad/iPhone?

Normally that error crops up when an email is rejected at the last stage of an email transaction (the error itself is wrong)

Most likely causes.

Spam content found
No Subject: in email.

Try replying using a blank mail rather than including the text of the previous mail and see if that goes through.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this hasn't resolved the issue.

Still getting a "no password provided for ntlworld. Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password"

She has done so but still no emails being sent or received. 

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'll repeat what I said earlier - THIS IS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PASSWORD.

I've replicated this error myself by sending mail I expected to trigger VM's outgoing spam filters from my iPad.  It's a bug in the way the iPad/iPhone deals with an SMTP error in the final stage of the email send.

If you try sending via a different email client, it may show the actual error from the server.

My recommendation - as email is critical to your wife at this time, is to get a Gmail or Outlook.com address and let the recruiters know the new email address.

VM's record at managing their email servers spam filtering is woeful to say the least.

The Forum Team will get to the thread and can raise this with the email team, but it's going to take time.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rossmci 

I note in the first post that you wrote

"and unable to login to my myvirginmedia etc as username and password is not being recognised. "

Can you check what happens if your wife tries to access her email via the VM webmail interface at the following address

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I've tried using the webmail link and my username and password is not being recognised. I have tried resetting my password using bill details telling me not valid bill details (they are), doesn't like my security question answer.

All of these errors are identical to the issues my wife had in June following her account lock and someone called Zoe reset her password from her side and everything has been working well since then.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rossmci

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm sorry to hear your wife is having some more issues with the email account, I can appreciate this is super frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I'm going to send you a PM so we can get this sorted for you. 

Please look our for a notification in the purple envelope. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Rossmci
Tuning in

This issue is occurring again with my wife's email.

She got a new phone and tried to set up her email but continuously gets user name and password error. She has also tried to access her account using webmail and again her account details are not recognised. 

Attempting to access using using security answer and bill details etc is also producing the same error. 

Not sure why this is happening but seems to do so every few months. 

Resetting the password has resolved the issue on the previous two occasions so can someone please reset the password again please?

Hi Rossmci,

Thanks for coming back to us - I'm sorry to hear that you're having the same issues again with your Wife's email account.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take a look into this for you.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth

I'm having the exact same problem.  No access to email.......again.  twice in less than a month.