Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: explaining my 90 day email dilema

The puzzle here is why web mail access has been terminated early. That is why we have suggested you wait until the VM Forum reach this thread to investigate and see what is going on.

Download Thunderbird from the official Mozilla site

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

(Mozilla are its creators but the product is free to use because it is open-source, everybody in the Thunderbird community contributes to its development).

It should set itself up automatically for VM mail and defaults to IMAP settings. You will have to enter your account details. IMAP is simply the name of one of the two mail protocols (the other is POP) that e-mail clients use to manage mail. The advantage of IMAP is that you see all the folders already on the VM servers not just the inbox.

This VM helpfile will assist you:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Reading through this thread, there are 3 items of information you should provide in anticipation of the Forum Team’s intervention. 

1. When you try to login to webmail, what is the precise error message you get? Is it “no such address” or words to that effect, or what? So far, you have said - 

I was told, (By a Real Person) that I have 90 days to access my email after leaving to transfer my contacts. Unfortunately this is not happening and even trying to get help has been stopped.”

What I didn't expect was my email is now completely shut down

VM will not let me back in 

- but you have not detailed ANY VM error message from the login process. Please do so.

There is always the possibility that access has just been denied for security reasons – address sending Spam etc. Hence need to see full error message.

Did someone tell you it had been “shut down”? 

Note that front-line telephone staff will only provide support to current customers. Applying this to the 90-day grace period following contract termination is a somewhat harsh interpretation of the guidance they are given I think. 

2. This is VM’s guide to service termination -

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Have you understood and followed this?

What duration was your contract – 12 months fixed term or what?

How and when did you give notice to quit – on the phone?

In a post last year you said - “I signed up in Nov / Dec for the 100mbs and tv package”. So was it November or December 2017 – and what was the expiry date – 30 Nov or 31 Dec 2018? 

3. If you have another email address – say Gmail – have you tried to send a Test email to your VM address. If it has been completely removed from the VM systems you will probably get a Non-Delivery message back. If you don’t get an “ND”, there is a possibility that it is still live on some back-end servers and temporarily available through an email client (as suggested by Miss Pasko and Howard above). Try that if you wish. 

Otherwise, provide the information I have requested and wait for the FT to pick this up.

Highlighted
joe-wilson489
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you MissPasko.

That could be helpful.

cheers

Joe.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi joe-wilson489,

If your disconnection date was in December 2018 then your email account should still be active. I shall need to check some information with you and then I'll investigate this - I've sent a PM (purple envelope top right) and shall await your reply Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
joe-wilson489
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

At last, now I'm getting some helpful advice instead of sarcastic comments.

Jen, I have answered your mail with all the info requested.

Thank you for explaining about IMAP / POP. (I'm now trying the windows 10 as instructed in an answer Jen gave to someone else.) (Still no luck yet though, that's prob my fault though)

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030....

So I will now try the above details.

cheers

joe.

Ps, Did try and send a test mail to myself from my gmail account, and I DID NOT get a ND notice.

0 Kudos
joe-wilson489
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have now tried Windows 10 and Thunderbird from Mozilla, using both IMAP and POP, and guess what,

"There is a problem, is the Username or Password correct"

So still in the same boat so far.

Anything else.

cheers

Joe.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi joe-wilson489,

As per my PM the email address has been (mistakenly) closed too early and access has now been restored. But please keep in mind that this access is temporary and arrangements should be made to acquire a new email address (non-ISP based is best to prevent further similar issues).

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team