cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

Davidlawuk
On our wavelength

I previously asked about getting the login screen when sending emails. I followed the instructions to log Outlook to find the reason. I found in the OPML log:

2020.08.24 20:48:54 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)
2020.08.24 20:48:54 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Retrying authorization
2020.08.24 20:48:56 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Disconnected from host
2020.08.24 20:48:56 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): End execution

I am getting this error on two pcs, My wife has her own machine and email account on my Virgin account.

Any help would be appreciated.

David.

21 REPLIES 21

Hello Davidlawuk

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your emails

Like previously advised, have you been able to run a full scan on your devices to see if any of the are infected?

Gareth_L

If you do know of an AV/Malware scanner which is capable of detecting spambots on multiple IoT connected devices please share it with the community.

Without such an AV/Malware scanner the only method I am aware of is that noted and linked to in post #2 in this thread - unless you know differently?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hi Gareth. Thanks for your post. I think I may have confused some members by adding solved to my last post. Since my problem was sending emails, requesting Spamhaus to unblock me 'solved' the immediate problem, I can send emails but realise that this will only be temporary if the cause is not found.

I have run Wiresharp overnight (with no other device connected, with the settings as shown in the link above. My two pcs are connected by Ethernet although I do have other devices which use wifi.

The Wireshark report shows apparent access on port 25. (About 40 overnight).

Capture.PNG

Is this what I'm looking for and if so how do I correct it? I have Malwarebytes   Premium running and all scans are clear.

Your assistance is appreciated.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This shows the network traffic captured from the telnet command used to confirm Wireshark is setup correctly. Do you see any traffic to/from IP Addresses other than 62.254.26.220 or starting with 192.168; no, then the device being tested is likely not the source of the spambot activity.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please shutdown the telnet command before stopping and restarting Wireshark.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, I missed the instruction to restart Wireshark:-( I'll redo.

Thanks to those who have helped with suggestions/advice. I tested my PC with Wireshark over 12 hours with no reports. Then did a similar test with connected devices. Still nothing.  I had asked Spamhaus to unblock my I.P. address, which they did. 

No problems since then.

David.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the problem returns make a note of which device you are using that you haven't used for a while.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Spoiler
What's going on when this only happens on a VM public WiFi access point?

Hello tubehound

Good question you have asked 

Can I please ask if you have more details please 

Location if possible

Gareth_L