cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

Davidlawuk
On our wavelength

I previously asked about getting the login screen when sending emails. I followed the instructions to log Outlook to find the reason. I found in the OPML log:

2020.08.24 20:48:54 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)
2020.08.24 20:48:54 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Retrying authorization
2020.08.24 20:48:56 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Disconnected from host
2020.08.24 20:48:56 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): End execution

I am getting this error on two pcs, My wife has her own machine and email account on my Virgin account.

Any help would be appreciated.

David.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yes that is to be expected. There is nothing wrong with your password or your account or the settings on each and everyone of your devices, it is entirely down to your public IP address has having been flagged by Spamhaus (which is a third-party company and nothing to do with VM whatsoever) as being a source of 'spam' emails and/or other such unwanted traffic.

VM use inclusion on this list as a means of controlling spam, whether this is a good idea is arguable but it's what thy do and there's no good in arguing and VM absolutely can't do anything to help, you could just get yourself delisted by Spamhaus but unless and until, you identify what device on your home network is responsible for sending out the traffic, they will simply re-add you to their lists and be less inclined next time to remove it.

The first step is to verify that you are indeed on their SBL and secondly to find the offending device, the fact that the error code is 305 is fairly conclusive that you are on the 'naughty list', it is important to note that it won't be any of the email programs you have installed on any of your devices which is responsible, it'll be a piece of malicious software that's got itself installed and it could be on any of your devices, not just PCs/laptops. Make a list of every single device that you have connected, PCs, laptops, tablets, phones, Amazon firesticks, any weird and wonderful Android TV boxes, oddball VPN connections to get around restrictions on viewing? Some are more likely to be candidates than others but it literally might be anything.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This shows the network traffic captured from the telnet command used to confirm Wireshark is setup correctly. Do you see any traffic to/from IP Addresses other than 62.254.26.220 or starting with 192.168; no, then the device being tested is likely not the source of the spambot activity.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please shutdown the telnet command before stopping and restarting Wireshark.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the problem returns make a note of which device you are using that you haven't used for a while.

21 REPLIES 21

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

VM305 is caused by something on your home network is sending spam this will be a spambot, and your external IP address has been reported to spamhaus, you are going to need to follow https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40... as failure to find and destroy it will keep you on the spam sending list.

Regards Mike

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Emails-not-sending-5-7-13-Authentication-Denied-V...

Is this from today (Tuesday)?  The server monday was not working for a lot of people with authentication errors, and the io.ox tidbits the server was spitting out yesterday might mean that there was/is a problem with VM's servers and auth.  All of my emails are working again today, but yesterday none of them were working (web, or imap).  I know that the VM305 seems to be linked directly to the block list, but if the security/spam section of the servers were/are kibosh then perhaps it's related.

*edit*Fixed Link, wasn't going to Ravenstars post.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Thanks for your reply. The log file was from yesterday but the problem still occurs today, on both pcs.

If we try to send an email, to anywhere, the confirm password popup appears. We both use pop mail boxes, not  sure if that should alter things?

Regards,

David.

Go to the link I posted and check ravenstars post, determine if your on the list first, If it is then go to DJ Shadows link and it will help you find/fix your problem.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

PS  I have other non-Virgin email accounts from which I can send successfully. My problem is only with sending via Virgin.

Yes that is to be expected. There is nothing wrong with your password or your account or the settings on each and everyone of your devices, it is entirely down to your public IP address has having been flagged by Spamhaus (which is a third-party company and nothing to do with VM whatsoever) as being a source of 'spam' emails and/or other such unwanted traffic.

VM use inclusion on this list as a means of controlling spam, whether this is a good idea is arguable but it's what thy do and there's no good in arguing and VM absolutely can't do anything to help, you could just get yourself delisted by Spamhaus but unless and until, you identify what device on your home network is responsible for sending out the traffic, they will simply re-add you to their lists and be less inclined next time to remove it.

The first step is to verify that you are indeed on their SBL and secondly to find the offending device, the fact that the error code is 305 is fairly conclusive that you are on the 'naughty list', it is important to note that it won't be any of the email programs you have installed on any of your devices which is responsible, it'll be a piece of malicious software that's got itself installed and it could be on any of your devices, not just PCs/laptops. Make a list of every single device that you have connected, PCs, laptops, tablets, phones, Amazon firesticks, any weird and wonderful Android TV boxes, oddball VPN connections to get around restrictions on viewing? Some are more likely to be candidates than others but it literally might be anything.

Davidlawuk
On our wavelength

I followed the instructions and ended up at the Spamhuas site.

Entered my IP address and it told me that it was in their CSS list. Used their site to request removal, 30 mins later all seems to be working correctly.

The Spamhaus Project - CSS IP Removal

Thanks for the advice.

David.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you haven't dealt with the spambot that is only a temporary solution.  As soon as the spambot becomes active again your external IP will get listed again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Davidlawuk wrote:

I followed the instructions and ended up at the Spamhuas site.

Entered my IP address and it told me that it was in their CSS list. Used their site to request removal, 30 mins later all seems to be working correctly.

The Spamhaus Project - CSS IP Removal

Thanks for the advice.

David.

The advice everyone including Spamhaus, is that you deal with the cause of the blacklisting BEFORE asking for a delisting.  While it might seem to work in the short term, all that happens is that you end up getting listed again.

Spamhaus have mechanisms in place to rule out erroneous listings, for example they don't list an IP on a single detection.  They also automatically remove an IP if no traffic is seen in a given time.