Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 41 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Re: 0x800CCC0E

Hello unfocused

Sorry for the lack of replies 

I am going to be looking into this for you

Just a quick question, Did you Private Message Jodi so we can get your account details?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
unfocused
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth

No problem.  I was expecting the ticket to take a few days to get looked at.  You're quicker than I was expecting!

Yes I did send a private mail to Jodi with my details.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 43 of 53
Flag for a moderator

@unfocused 

Would you be willing to do a test with OpenSSL to see if your password works with IMAP

Using the same command as before but with -quiet to suppress most of the output

C:\Users\timdu_000>openssl s_client -connect imap.virginmedia.com:993 -quiet
depth=2 C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, OU = Root CA, CN = GlobalSign Root CA
verify return:1
depth=1 C = BE, O = GlobalSign nv-sa, CN = AlphaSSL CA - SHA256 - G2
depth=0 C = GB, OU = Domain Control Validated, CN = imap.virginmedia.com
* OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782VM ].
a1 login myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk mypassword
a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE SNIPPET=FUZZY NOTIFY SPECIAL-USE QUOTA] Logged in
a1 logout
* BYE Logging out
a1 OK Logout completed (0.001 + 0.000 secs).
read:errno=0

Here you'll notice I typed in the command

a1 login myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk mypassword

To log in to the server - needless to say I used my real details.  I'm not posting them here, nor would I expect you to.

While you don't need to worry about the meaning of everything in the next lines - you'll see they finish with logged in.  Which means the password is good.

If the password works in IMAP - and is correct in Outlook we SHOULD be able to get you the ability to view mails.  At the very least we'll be able to deal with the 0x800CCC0E issue.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
unfocused
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hello Tim

Many thanks for getting back to me with this thought. I had to remove the quiet to see the response from the login, which was simply

a1 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.

So does that mean that I have the wrong password?  If so, it should be fairly easy for VM to issue me with a new password.  Though why it's wrong is another matter!

Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 45 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Does the same password log you in to webmail successfully?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
unfocused
On our wavelength
Message 46 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Oops.  Confession time.  I mistyped the password previously when I received the authentication failed message.

But now, when I input the a1 login message (following '* OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782VM ].'), it just comes back with the message 'closed' whether I get the password right or wrong.  I've even tried rebooting but that doesn't make any difference.  I feel I must be doing something silly, but I don't know what it is. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 47 of 53
Flag for a moderator

s_client has an annoying feature.  Enter any character and hit enter.  You’ll get an error, but you’ll then be able to enter the login line without worrying the 10 second time limit on the first line.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

unfocused
On our wavelength
Message 48 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't have guessed that.

Well, I'm feeling rather shame-faced now.  The problem was the most obvious error of all!  It hadn't occurred to me that the password I use to log in to the website is the same as the password I use to download my emails.  I don't know how long ago it was I changed my website log-in password, so long ago I can't remember doing it, but I'm sure I had never changed that password on my Outlook server settings.  It was only the Virgin Media outage that made the connection have to start up again and fail the password test. 

In fact, when I went to change the password in Outlook via the Server Settings page, it errored when I tried to do it.  I looked up the error and was shown a different mechanism to change the password.  That's not proof I'd never changed the password in Outlook, I know, but it is an indication.

So, my problem is now resolved!  Many thanks to everyone who helped me, particularly Tim, who has patiently moved from diagnostic to diagnostic, but also to Howard and to the guys at Virgin Media.  I could never have fixed it without your help.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 49 of 53
Flag for a moderator

So pleased you got there. I didn't do that much but I accept the compliment. Kudos to you for the way you have handled tis and finally summarised the issue. That helps us all build a community of answers.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 50 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Is your mail definitely downloading now.

I'm just mindful that the IMAP error was a connection error message.

Edit - If it is - try a test send as well and confirm that you can definitely send mail.  After all we don't want to close the support ticket prematurely.

TIm

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos