cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • From next week, new and existing customers who take M500 or Gig1 broadband packages will be able to enjoy updated upload speeds of 52Mpbs and 104Mbps at no extra cost – six times faster than the UK’s average upload speed
  • Customers will also be able to download the Virgin Media Connect app to check their new upload speeds
  • This free of charge uplift follows Virgin Media O2 boosting speeds for all M100 and M200 customers at no extra cost at the end of 2022

From next week, Virgin Media O2 is starting to increase upload speeds for even more of its broadband customers at no extra cost, offering them extra value from their broadband services.

The boost will see the average upload speed for Virgin Media’s M500 service increase from 36Mbps to 52Mbps, with the average upload speed for Gig 1 services rising from 52Mbps to 104Mbps – six times faster than the UK’s average.

To benefit from the improved upload speeds, including a faster experience when video calling, gaming and sending large files, existing customers who are eligible for the increase simply need to reboot their Hub by switching it off, waiting 5-10 seconds and switching it on again, or restarting it via the Virgin Media Connect app. Once completed, customers can also check their new upload speeds by running a speed test on the Connect app.

New customers who take M500 or Gig 1 broadband will also be able to enjoy the faster upload speeds, with the increase being applied to these packages as standard.

Gareth Turpin, Chief Commercial Officer at Virgin Media O2, said:
As demand for fast and reliable connectivity continues to soar, we’re boosting upload speeds for millions of our broadband customers at no extra cost. In the last year, we’ve seen record upstream demand on our fixed network as a result of more people regularly working from home, using video calling apps and new advances in gaming, so now more than ever we’re laser focused on offering our customers a service that supports them now and in the future.

This free of charge boost comes just months after Virgin Media O2 increased speeds for all M100 and M200 customers at no extra cost, meaning that once this speed upgrade is complete, Virgin Media O2 will have boosted upload speeds for 4.5m broadband customers since November 2022.

40 Comments
jamesc77
Tuning in

Seems to have already been applied. Rebooted Hub yesterday and am now being treated to 105mbps uploads on my Gig1 service 🎉😀👏

david1235
On our wavelength

Me too. I rebooted and got the upgraded speed 😎

RayW2
Dialled in

It is indeed being rolled out, the *offical* launch date is June 1st as I understand it.

--

RayW2

djgreen27
Tuning in

Just rebooted our Hub 5 and upload speed increase has been applied 🙂

Gmartin
Tuning in

Nothing for me yet in area 31, and I’ve been checking since people first started reporting that they had received the increase in upload speed. 
According to a report on ISPreview VMO2 have stated that the increase starts rolling out with completion by end of the year! That will be a long time to wait, with the only way I can see of checking by having to reboot the router. Wish there was a better way to tell if it had been enabled on your line, to save having to keep rebooting!

bosstrade
On our wavelength

Area 14 increase applied, not getting the 52 Mbps but it's now higher than it was 

mda99das
Up to speed

didnt reboot and getting 100 meg upload

Blakey47
On our wavelength

I got the email telling me to turn off the router for 10 seconds to get the update but it hasn't worked 

(posted seperately about this) 🙂

Gmartin
Tuning in

Same here, conflicting reports, the email and post seems to imply that it is occurring for everybody at once, but other reports on it seem to imply a long drawn out roll out of the upload boost. 

I’m guessing running in modem mode wouldn’t stop the boost from being applied?

Ronnie4
Joining in

I’ve had the below  offer of boosted upload speed to double, and it’s not working. Using the Virgin Connect app the hub is reporting the upload speed it had anyway, even after several reboots of the hub.

As a thanks for being with us, we've boosted your broadband upload speeds from 52Mbps to 104Mbps. Just turn the Hub off using the switch at the back, wait 10 seconds, turn it back on again, and your speeds will update automatically. Go to virginmedia.com/uploadgig1 for more info. Enjoy!

juststeve
Up to speed

I’ve got the gig1 broadband, uploads speeds are 104mg, but the downloads speeds are below 700gb!

fuz
Dialled in

What about  those of us who are on the "Volt" 600 speed. (would love to know which speed we were supposed to have to have been upgraded to 600). do we not get an increase?

Greggy
On our wavelength

Finally remembered to reboot the hub 4 now 105 up doubt it will improve my ea golf game 🤣🤣🤣🤣 though boys say it makes a difference for them . Nice to get a free upgrade all the same 👍

David81046
Joining in

Rebooted Hub 4 and Speedtest by Ookla reports 100 download and 100 upload (approx).

Rang version and they said use SamKnows and that reports 1153 download.

Tried BT and several other programs and they all reported 100 download.

Is it a question that the other speed test programs need an upgrade?

cwoxford
On our wavelength

Deleted as sent in error.

banhamm
Up to speed

Has area 20 been upgraded with this? I’ve rebooted the hub twice but still getting 52 not 104. 

leccy
Dialled in

In area 30 I still seem to be getting 52 not 104 for uploads.  I've rebooted my hub5 three times and no change.

brightonjohn
Fibre optic

And so out of curiosity I measured my speed - 900+ download and 50+ upload. Then rebooted the router and now <100 download and still 50+ upload. Hopefully that will be sorted next week. 

XodoR
Joining in

Customer Service are so backwards when it comes to asking a simple question.

I had the email saying i received the upgraded upload like everyone else, did the reboot, but no upgrade.
So I called to find out why my upload hadnt increased, long story short, i was told it would be upgraded on July 1st.

Now for the bs part of all this.

I called virgin to simply ask why my upload speed hadnt upgraded after rebooting my router. Every person i spoke too, apart from the disconnection team, lied to me.
I was told the problem was found and fixed, but it wasnt fixed so i called back, i was then told the problem could not be fixed and the previous person lied about fixing the issue. I was also told that i was actually getting the full 104mbps upload for the past 5 days, but i had been monitoring my speeds and they were always avg 52mbps upload. I was told that there was too much wifi activity on my router that was slowing my upload speed even though i dont use wifi at all. I was even asked what my problem was, as if getting half your upload speed wasnt a problem. A manager even tried to blag me by telling me the upload speed would vary between 52 and 104mbps due to variable speed rates.

This wasnt just one bad apple, this was several including a manager. I raised 3 complaints about these staff members because the first 2 complaints were completely dismissed, they didnt even acknowledge the upload issue in the 1st 2 complaints. In the end i had to call and specifically request my complaint be escalated to address the way these staff member just lie to customers about something so simple. I was offered £20 compensation which i refused. Im not lookin for comp but dont insult me with £20 when i been lied too for 2 days by several members of staff who are suppose to provide us with accurate honest information. Clearly these staff members dont have a clue and lie to get you off the phone. However, if i didnt know better, i would assume they were being honest, so i feel bad for people who fall victim to virgins bs.

Hopefully the upload is upgraded on July 1st, i dont think i can deal with speaking to virgin about this matter ever again. But seriously, they need to get rid of the staff that bs customers. Every single one point blank lied to me.

banhamm
Up to speed

Is there any indication as to whether this is a gradual rollout or should we all have this by now? (I don't, in area 20 as of 19/6/23)