cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're excited to announce our new entertainment service - Stream.

Virgin Media O2 is today unmasking its new entertainment service, Stream from Virgin Media, offering customers a new way to bring together their favourite TV channels, video apps and streaming subscriptions all in one place and at great value, with a small plug and play box powered entirely by the company’s superior broadband.

Available from tomorrow, Stream seamlessly combines most-loved TV channels with on-demand apps, popular streaming subscriptions and must watch movies to offer customers a convenient and personalised entertainment experience that works for them.

New Stream benefits include:

• Value – Any customer taking Stream can get 10% credit back on the subscriptions they add to Stream and will have the ability to convert older TV models into a voiced activated Smart TV
  • Flexibility – No long-term contracts – customers can change subscriptions every month
  • Choice – Stream brings together free-to-watch apps, free TV channels and subscriptions like Netflix and Prime Video
  • Convenience – All selected subscriptions, free apps and TV in one place and available on one bill so there’s no need to juggle multiple payments or direct debits
  • Personalisation – Stream offers personalised recommendations across subscriptions

At a time of almost endless entertainment choices, Stream has been built with flexibility, value and curation at its core to put viewers in control. Customers can enjoy Stream on a fuss-free 30-day rolling contract so they can add or remove subscriptions every month, with the ability to save on their streaming subscriptions when adding them to the service. From news channels to sport and kids TV, Stream provides a one-stop-shop so customers can easily select and swap the channels and streaming services that truly matter to them.

Disney+ is now available on Virgin TV for the first time through Stream, so customers can enjoy exclusive must-see originals, movies, series and documentaries from the worlds of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and general entertainment brand Star. The other must-have apps available on Stream include Netflix, Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Starzplay, BritBox and YouTube as well as live TV subscriptions including Sky Sports and BT Sport.

With Stream, customers won’t need to fork out for a new screen to upgrade their entertainment. Stream has been designed to convert any recent TV with a HDMI port into a voice-activated smart TV, helping customers save on the cost of upgrading their viewing experience. Powered by Virgin Media’s ultrafast and gigabit broadband, even busy households will be able to have the very best TV experience with Stream while also making the most of their connectivity to game, stream and work all at the same time around the home.

David Bouchier, Chief TV & Entertainment Officer at Virgin Media O2, said:

“At a time of endless entertainment choice and a strain on household budgets, we’re putting viewers first. Stream customers will only pay for the entertainment they choose and can pocket monthly savings on the content they add – it is a truly flexible and personal way to enjoy the entertainment that matters most, at great value. Stream is more than just a new TV service, it’s whole new way to enjoy connected entertainment. More than ever, content and connectivity go hand in hand and with Stream we’re delivering the best of both.”

At launch, Stream is available to both new and existing customers who take a Virgin Media broadband only or broadband and home phone package, offering a quick and easy entertainment add on that pairs perfectly with the company’s lightning-fast broadband – offering speeds up to 22x faster than the UK average.

Customers can add Stream for a one-off activation fee (£35), with no ongoing cost beyond the streaming services they choose to subscribe to. Stream also includes “Stream credit” offering customers a 10% saving on their subscriptions when they add them via their Virgin Media bill, giving them even better value on the entertainment they love and can’t live without.

Recent analysis carried out by researchers at MTM has shown that while video-on-demand (VOD) is commonly the first type of TV that consumers turn to when looking for something to watch, live TV is almost on a par – with 36% of UK consumers claiming to turn to linear first, vs 37% for VOD.

Similarly, when consumers were asked what TV services they “could not live without” the top three answers were Netflix, BBC and ITV – reinforcing that typical viewing habits nowadays are a blend of subscription, on-demand and traditional TV.

Additional MTM Group analysis from 3 Reasons Ltd has also shown that the TV set is increasingly the most popular way to view VOD programming, with 72% of programme streaming requests happening through the TV set, growing from 54% in 2016.

Stream offers enhanced features such as Voice Search and Control, Profiles and Watchlists so customers can cut through the chaos of what to watch and where to find it, diving straight into their favourite shows and movies in a matter of seconds no matter where the content is.

Whether at home or on the go, customers with Stream can manage their entertainment with ease across devices via the My Virgin Media app, simply using the app to add and remove TV subscriptions to suit their needs.

FAQ

What is Stream?

Stream is our entertainment service that brings together our customers favourite entertainment subscriptions under one roof – with easy-to-use interface and the flexibility to change their subscriptions anytime. Customers can easily access the stuff they love, only pay for what they plan to use each month, and get one simple bill for all of it.

Who is Stream available to?

Stream is available to customers with M50 Fibre Broadband or above and those with Broadband & Home Phone.

Stream is currently not available to customers who already have a Virgin TV service. It’s also not available for Virgin Media Essential broadband customers.

When can customers order Stream?

We'll be opening orders from 27th April.

How many Stream boxes can a customer have?

Customers can have one Stream box per Virgin Media account

How is it installed?

Customers can self-install via QuickStart home delivery or Click and Collect. Alternatively, we can also book an engineer to install it.

What is Stream credit?

Stream credit is an awesome new perk when customers pay for their entertainment subscriptions through their Virgin Media bill.

Stream credit offers customers a 10% saving on their subscriptions when they add them via their Virgin Media bill, giving them even better value on the entertainment they love and can’t live without.

note: Prime Video and BritBox cannot be added to the Virgin Media bill. Customers will need to subscribe directly with these providers to watch them on the Stream box.

How do customers get Stream credit?

Customers must pay for their entertainment subscription through their Virgin Media bill. Customers can do this via the Upgrade app on the Stream box or by logging in to My Virgin Media.

Will Disney+ be coming to Virgin TV 360?

We’re working with Disney to bring it to 360 shortly. We’ll let customers know when we have a confirmed date for this.

You can find the latest discussion on our Stream board

35 Comments
james971
Joining in

It is not clear how to order this if you are an existing broadband and phone customer. Please can anyone tell me.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @james971 

I'm afraid at present customers either have to call in (150 option 4 (Changes to your package ) from your VM landline)) or use webchat for now if they want to add Stream to their existing broadband only, or broadband and phone service.

I suggest using the phone service as the webchat wasn't working when I last checked.

mariom
On our wavelength

Really disappointing that this isn't available to TV customers too. I have a second TV360 box for the kids, who just watch Youtube and Netflix - that's £120 per year that I can save. I was on the verge of changing it to a firestick or suchlike when I saw this device. Having enquired about it and being denied it, it feels wrong - I pay Virgin a hefty monthly sum but can't get a device which is available to an M50 customer?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

V360 & Stream cannot be used together currently in the UK or Eire due to restrictions imposed by the broadcasters. Stream is reliant on recordings being cloud based, which is not currently allowed in the UK or Eire. Hence the V360 system has to be “ring fenced” to the customers hard drive in the main 360 box, to which the V360 mini boxes have access via the home network.

james971
Joining in

It seems impossible for existing customers to get this service without either paying more per month for this (new customers get it free with £35 connection cost) or Virginmedia Telesales trying to sell you something you do not want. In the current cost of living crisis and with the reduction of HD channels on Freeview this seems a very interesting proposition but it seems impossible for a loyal customer of 21 years to have with out paying another £23 per month.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Will this ever be available for people on the higher value VOLT packages?

I still find the storage on the Virgin TV 360 boxes a bit more in comparison too Sky Q having 1tb hard drives?

Kind regards 

Dean

leebentley
Tuning in

Hi

I have just had Stream added on to my Vault pacakge at a charge of £35 activation fee.

You need to dial 150 from a virgin media landline or 0800 052 0422 from any phone.

Kind Regards,

Lee Bentley

dmason197
Fibre optic

Hi

Is there going too be an official announcement regarding this?

Kind regards 

Dean

dmason197
Fibre optic

Has anybody else got Stream as part of there VOLT Package?

Has there been any official response from Virgin Media regarding this

Kind regards 

Dean

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Dean,

Some customers are on a Broadband + Phone + O2 SIM (Volt) package

As these packages don't include a TV set top box then they can add the Stream box.

It's possible that @leebentley is/was on one of those packages.

leebentley
Tuning in

Hi Dean,

I was an existing O2 customer and also an existing Virgin Media Customer with Broadband 500mbps and landline package which was upgraded to  Volt Gig1 product. Because I only had these two  services  I could get the stream Box. If you have a TV 360 Box or a TiVo box unfortunately at the moment you cannot and Stream to your package.

All the best,

Lee

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Lee,

Thanks for updating the blog and confirming your package.

It certainly helps as others may have thought that either you'd found a way round the system, or that VMO2 where now allowing Stream as an additional set top box.

leebentley
Tuning in

@newaollo

Totally right, there is no way round to getting Stream other than mentioned above in previous comment.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Thanks for the clarification 👍 👌 

leebentley
Tuning in

Your Welcome, if I find out any differently I will post back on this page.

leebentley
Tuning in

Your exactly right 👍🏻

leebentley
Tuning in

Although that was copy and pasted from the write up at the top of the page 😊

leebentley
Tuning in

If anyone needs help with there stream service, I will be more than willing to help people out as I already have the service. As of this evening all is looking good and functions work as expected or even better for such a tiny little box👍🏻

Mattc86
Dialled in

Received my stream box today absolutely horrendous setup took hours on the phone to get the thing working after being told several different things now it finally is working I now cant purchase the subscriptions on the device after phoning up I got told to contact the virgin media store who promptly told me its nothing to do with them

Seems this thing needed longer in the oven !!!

leebentley
Tuning in

Hi Matt,

I am really sorry for all the trouble you have been having over this. I can honestly say I had no trouble with mine. But as for going to your local virgin media store to sort it out was ridiculous at best.

Glad you got it sorted out now!!

Lee