cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

As you can imagine, with costs such as energy bills rising fast, our running costs are increasing too. So, to make sure we can keep giving you the service you expect, the price of your package may be going up. If you have been contacted and want to find out more, click below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/pricechange2023 

270 Comments
machineghost
Rising star

What deal did you get if you could share?

Em2000
Joining in

Hi I received a letter about price's increasing I'm on a offer £24 per month until February 2024 will I be exempt from the price increase until my offer has finished 

unisoft
Well-informed

@Em2000 wrote:

Hi I received a letter about price's increasing I'm on a offer £24 per month until February 2024 will I be exempt from the price increase until my offer has finished 

It will say in the email/letter as specific groups of users may be excluded.

If your contract has the word 'discount' written on it where it details the cost, then you'll get the price increase.

jammby78
Tuning in

Can anyone confirm if ‘this’ package/deal that I’m on will be subject to a price increase meaning I will receive and email/letter detailing such any day now. Not bothered if the price increase is deferred or anything - just trying to organise new provider start date based on guessing receipt of my ‘right to cancel contract due to price increase’ notification.

4B4956E6-0DE3-4028-B630-852208183F66.png

ALF28
Super solver

If prices are to rise on the 1st April 2023 the notice should be prior to that date,4 to 5 weeks will not give any notice, I have not had my own notice yet, but would like to know if it is 13.8%  or more than that for 02 services, I have a monthly rolling contract which is not a fixed period so would like to know how much it will increase. (I do not have volt or mobile 02). 

It seems unusual that VM impose a large price rise but then allow it to be removed or reduced if you negotiate. So the price is  variable, not fixed with customers on different rates for the same package dependant on what the sales team will offer to stop you leaving?

I presume they will rake in more money, but will also loose some customers who will consider switching to get a cheaper deal or choose to use the new mobile 4g or 5g.

Virgin Media price increase 2023: what can customers do? (uswitch.com)

My own rise may be £11.33 per month, a huge rise.

Looking at one post of a bill similar to mine, I am already paying a lot more than others, so it is costing me an extra £34 per month for anytime calls, but I have not taken a fixed contract.

ALF28
Super solver

landline phone 

If you switch services, I presume you then would loose your landline/phone number unless it can be transferred/ported to a new provider via open reach cables if that is possible.

As the home  phone number is widely used that could be an issue, or start to ditch using a landline number as most calls now go to mobile, I now get few calls on my landline but use it to ring out a lot.

The alternative is to just use mobile phones, but as service calls often last for long periods with music, a landline is more convenient and probably cheaper.

Can virgin provide the landline as a stand alone service or only with broadband, mine is not hub connected yet, but all landlines will eventually need a hub.

I am looking at options for the future which may involve a house move as well, so do not want to fix anything so will  stay on monthly rolling providers to avoid exit costs.

The other option  would be to install a BT landline phone with or without  broadband, and use mobile broadband 4g or 5g via a router for home wi-fi, but not sure which provider to choose, I will look at costs.

neilied
On our wavelength

If I switch to essential broadband plus. Will I loose my volt benefits?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@neilied wrote:

If I switch to essential broadband plus. Will I loose my volt benefits?

Hi @neilied 

The info below is from https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/essential-broadband 

5. If you transfer to an Essential broadband plan, you will be ineligible for any future new customer discounts if and when you decide to transfer. Our Essential broadband plans are not a qualifying product for Volt benefits. If you are currently receiving Volt benefits and you transfer to an Essential broadband plan, your 02 SIM Volt benefits will continue until you recontract. On recontracting, you will not be eligible for any Volt benefits. Any discounts that you enjoyed on your previous plan prior to taking an Essential broadband plan will not transfer over to your new Essential broadband plan and if you ever transfer off your Essential broadband plan on to another plan, any discounts that you accrue whilst on your Essential broadband plan will not transfer over to that new plan.

6. Any add-on or inclusive services that you are receiving on your current package will be transferred to your Essential broadband plan subject to any eligibility conditions associated with those services. This may result in services being removed or in new charges being incurred by you for services previously discounted or waived.

7. If you currently have an Oomph bundle that includes a mobile SIM, you will need to transfer your SIM to one of our current 02 SIM only tariffs or cancel it . If your Oomph bundle includes a Freestyle handset agreement, this will be unaffected by a transfer to an Essential broadband plan and your monthly payment will need to be paid as normal.

ALF28
Super solver

what happens to your email when you switch broadband your provider-

good advice here-

We can't ditch our broadband... we'll lose our email address! Seven tips to help you break free and ...

BadlyDrawnBlue
On our wavelength

I learnt years ago (the hard way) NEVER to link your email address, something you wont want to change, to a provider, who you are very likely to change.

In other words go to a broadband provider for broadband and an email provider for email.

It's quite simple.

Sorry to sound like a smart @rse, but it's a mistake many people (including myself) make. In my case it was O2.

ALF28
Super solver

Thanks for the advice, I do have other emails.

I have set up an auto-forward from my virgin email to a gmail alternative today in case I switch in the future.

I do agree it makes no sense to tie an email to a broadband supplier and virgin media no longer supply new emails now.

Each broadband supplier has their own rules if you cancel, some allow 90 days,others 12 months and some allow you to keep the email.

So an email used for 20 years could stop working  and therefor wise to not link emails to broadband suppliers.

I will wind down my virgin email, not used much as I use gmail.com and outlook.com now.

neilied
On our wavelength

Just to put these increases into context. My £27/month (£44-£17) increases by £7

my sky tv account at £61 per month increased by £4

ALF28
Super solver

I have not had a price rise yet from VM, hope I get a small rise.

I will review this  when I get my increase notice.

As only VM have fibre in my area, the other options are ADSL 10Mbps, mobile 4G/5G or a hybrid which combines both.

Not sure which alternative  is best if you need to stream films with netflix etc.?

To get any good deal means locking in for 12, 18 or 24 months.

There are some monthly options around also with cable and mobile options.

Not all provide TV boxes.

Some also offer various landline deals similar to VM.

Virgin media is probably the best for me, but the price is high now before the rise and unlike some providers, existing customers can not get the same cheap deal as a new customer.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You don't have to lock yourself into a long Pay TV contract. As an example, VM broadband users can opt for Stream, costs £35 to activate and you only pay for subscriptions such as Netflix.

ksouth23
Tuning in

Can you leave if still in contract with price increases 

ALF28
Super solver

landline phone 

useful advice on landline switching-

Switching landline - Ofcom

broadband switching

Switching broadband provider - Ofcom

ALF28
Super solver

VM packages- checked for my postcode area as a new customer today

A typical 18 month contact normal speed 132 + landline for me would be 29.99 pr month, rising to £59 at the end of a contract.

For these services I presently pay £23 more than that , due to being on  a rolling monthly contract.

If you switch to a fixed contract as an existing customer you do not get the cheaper price but still get locked in.

A cheaper option with no tv,  18 month contact for lower speed 54  + landline would be £28 per month, , rising to £45 at the end of a contract.

However I would pay an extra £8 for anytime calls..

Future rises may increase these prices by 13.85% average? .When I do eventually get a price rise notice,(  they should have been sent out in January/February) I will check to see if it can be reduced.

I hope my price does not suddenly increase in April without notification?

Usually I get a letter through the post or an email, the last one was 5/1/2022, well in advance.

I do have streaming using my own stream box, I see the VM stream broadband starts at  only £15 per month  and  £35 for the stream device, I did not know it existed?

How to watch live TV online: The complete guide (broadbandchoices.co.uk)

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

There is no such thing as "VM stream broadband". There is broadband, i.e.M50, M125, M250, M350, M500, M600 and Gig1, and you can add Stream for £35. Low income people who qualify for the 15Mbps Essential broadband at a cost of £12.50pm are not eligible for Stream (which requires a minumum of M50).

ALF28
Super solver

Thanks for the advice.

I now know my rise is £12 or 14.6% which makes my bill now well over £1000 per annum.

I rang up to find this out on 150. with billing. The letters are due to be sent out.

The virgin rise is higher than some other providers.

As a new customer can get similar services for less half of what I am paying, I will now review or try alternative services.

Loyal existing customers pay more, new customers seem to get a much better deal.

brads
Up to speed

It's the same with all of the companies. Mine went up over 20 quid a month so I cancelled and they made an offer that was very good so I accepted it.