cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers as well as existing customers without a Hub 4 who upgrade to Gig1. Currently there is no other way to get a Hub 5.

Temporarily, due to stock levels at the end of last year and the start of this year. Some Gig1 customers expecting a Hub 5 may have received a Hub 4 instead. We'll be contacting these Gig1 customers to offer them a Hub 5 via email.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
1,355 Comments
snozski
Up to speed

So the engineer came to look into variable upload speeds (noise issues)  told me hub 4 is rubbish and is coming tomorrow the HUB 5.     

Said they have around 60 in stock per week and give them out to anyone on gig1 who has speed issues as hub 4's chipset is not great with 1gbit.

snozski
Up to speed

I would guess the rollout is coming very soon based on this too. 

dmason197
Fibre optic

Well I wasn't offered anything following my engineer visit so I'm not going too bother asking again

Kind regards 

Dean

tegan92
Joining in

Can we have an idea of when the Hub 5 will actually connect to the virgin connect app. Constantly having to reset the hub 5 and was told months ago that there would be updates available through the app to help with this considering it was still on trail phase. 

Just don't see why you would tell us to download an app that's as much use as a chocolate fire guard🤔

jamilayz
Dialled in

Any idea when Hub 5 will be available for Gig 1 customers ?

IllLustration
Up to speed

Well, if nothing else, hopefully it should now be fairly clear that signing up for the trial doesn't work. Annoying as it is, I suggest patience ...

Amigafreak77
Tuning in

I've been told today that the hub5 has stopped being manufactured due to technical issues, anyone else heard this? 

Amigafreak77
Tuning in
dmason197
Fibre optic

What's going on with the new Virgin HUB FIVE 🤔 👀 😕 

There hasn't been any further updates?

Kind regards 

Dean

TeddyTRK
Superfast

The Month Trial with the Hub 5 + Boosters is nearing it's end. This will likely be the start of the Hub 5 Launch via London, Manchester and Birmingham (where they launch first) to the spread around the rest of the UK. This is because the Hub 5 now has all the necessary updates, hardware and software parts to be launched.  Estimated launch time for ordering is 10th August - 12th August 2022.

THIS IS ONLY A GUESS, BUT IT IS VERY LIKELY CONCIDERING THIS IS HOW THE HUB 4 LAUNCHED. 

fxwebby
Joining in

I upgraded to 1gig from 500 . Was told that to do this would be sent the hub 4 . Asked about the hub 5 they said I would get a email. So the hub 4 came and fitted it. Then got the email for the hub 5 completed the form sent it back . 

The reply was thanks for requesting the hub 5 unfortunately you can’t have it because you have the hub 4 🤦‍♂️.

After numerous phone calls to customer service them saying that it on my account that I can have one still nothing . 

The area manager is supposed to be calling me but still no phone call . This was requested a month ago . 

dmason197
Fibre optic

Hopefully I get an upgraded Virgin Media HUB FIVE soon If the trials are being wrapped up soon

weechuan
Tuning in

Rang to renew contract told them Vodafone is offering me super deal w their broadband and wifi6 router if VM can better the offer.. was pretty shocked by the reply.

Jonathan in uk final cancellation department at fVM advised “that super hub 4 only works for fast speeds so offered to customers w 1Gb connections. Super hub 5 is still under going tests.

Why are you saying wifi6 will handle multiple device better? most people do not have wifi6 devices and what is wrong with your super hub 3? It is normal to reboot it every few weeks. Since you are not on 1Gb package we cannot offer you the super hub4.

Pls also check how much Vodafone charge for engineer call out if there is a problem, that’s how they make their money.” 

I said “your own VM website states wifi6 can handle devices better than wifi5. And ALL my 26 devices are wifi6 ready. That I will review in my 14 days cancellation window to stay or go since you are basically telling me that I have the best Vm offer and will not be getting a wifi6 router.”

ps … loyalty does not mean anything as new customers gets better prices when will VM learn?!

snozski
Up to speed

You should take Vodaphone (cityfibre) anyway 1gbit duplex is way better.  I was waiting for 2 years as rollout started in my city then but it still has not reached my address so I went virgin. 

Full fibre is always going to beat DOCSIS  this is why virgin themselves are converting the whole network to full fibre as we speak.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/02/virgin-media-o2-to-cover-23-million-uk-premises-with-f...

TeddyTRK
Superfast

@weechuan Most VM staff are overseas. Personally I have received nothing bellow average help but there can be a few that really like to **bleep** us off and VM are doing nothing about this.

Hub 5 trials will end soon, but I do think they will give it to Gig 1 customers first as it will benefit them the most. In an earlier post I predicted around a 10th-12th august launch for the Hub 5 as this was a similar trial range for the Hub 4. 

nad_haque
Dialled in

They are planning to give out hub 5 to most customers by December and start of next year.

weechuan
Tuning in

@teddyTrk I spoke to a lady from philippines, a gentleman from India before I was passed to this chap in uk… Jonathan is definitely uk based as he was quite corky. .. I am not sure I have the patience for sub par products and service anymore. 

dmason197
Fibre optic

So what Is the latest information regarding the Virgin HUB FIVE 🤔 😉 

Kind regards 

Dean

TeddyTRK
Superfast

Nothing ad of yet, just guesses. Even VM staff are guessing at this point

thebatfink
Dialled in

They want to start thinking about sorting this upload speed with it too. You’ve now got even BT offering better top line speeds and better pricing and we are all here begging for a modem that will actually just deliver the ‘top’ download speed they advertise for 8 months.