cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers as well as existing customers without a Hub 4 who upgrade to Gig1. Currently there is no other way to get a Hub 5.

Temporarily, due to stock levels at the end of last year and the start of this year. Some Gig1 customers expecting a Hub 5 may have received a Hub 4 instead. We'll be contacting these Gig1 customers to offer them a Hub 5 via email.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
1,355 Comments
BMWCHUBB
Up to speed

I have no chance because i am locked out all vm support email..These peeps need reporting

snozski
Up to speed

XD

jamilayz
Dialled in

Come on Virgin Media, please select me for the trial as have registered my interest. Currently on Gig1 package and desperately need the Hub 5.

Anonymous
Not applicable

They will select a maximum of 100 customers. I believe it’s first come first served basis. In this case who ever applied first in those 100 customers will get it. It will take 2 weeks for them to process the applications and send out the hub and WiFi pods unless you already have the WiFi pods. So hoping for the best and let’s have some patience 😂😂I don’t know why I’m saying they because I don’t have any myself.

Dave6018
On our wavelength

I have given in , tired to talk to customer services , asking for a hub 5 was obviously not on their script, just hoping the the 1gb down and up is rolled out in my area so I can ditch vm 

Amigafreak77
Tuning in

So If I'm already on the 1gig service but using hub 4, can I apply for the trial or not? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not! Half of us in this forum are gig 1 customers with Hub 4 if I’m not wrong. Go ahead don’t wait. And apply ASAP!!!

andrewmm
Fibre optic

Re the pods

if they are the same as the old ones, they just seem to get hot and not add much / any range , 

Re who gets the trial,

I'd say , again based on other trials I have been involved with for other companies

they want to get as much a coverage of user situations as possible, on as many "exchanges" as possible,

sandelben
On our wavelength
  • The Trial is available to (“Eligible Participants”). Existing Virgin Media customers with Gig1 broadband who do not already have a Hub 5 will not be eligible to participate.
Amigafreak77
Tuning in

Hmm well if I can't get the trial I want the hub 5 as the hub 4 is rubbish and the WiFi pods don't seem to do much either to help the range in the house. Not happy with the service at all either, they just say if you get a solid fast connection once connected is what matters most otherwise if you need good WiFi they aren't interested. I can't run cables all over the house. I had better WiFi when I was on the older service for some reason too. 

jamilayz
Dialled in

Sick and tired of waiting for the Hub 5.

Is it a good time to go for the bonding method instead as then it will be future proof?

IllLustration
Up to speed

Up to you, ultimately, but it's the path I'm going down. With four bonded ports it could support a theoretical max of 4 Gbps which is a long way off yet. When VM do finally pull their finger out you'll be in no rush to upgrade, plus you'll already have everything you'll need and can upgrade your own network on your own time without waiting on VM (depending on reports of Hub 5 performance, you might actually prefer to stick with your existing hardware if they let you). The only catch AFAICT is that this is completely undocumented and unsupported and it might be flaky, so, unless you're prepared to be bottlenecked to 1 Gbps, it's not a long-term solution. Also, it goes without saying that this configuration is sufficiently obscure that most off-the-shelf routers don't support it and you need some advanced networking foo. JMO, YMMV, etc.

dmason197
Fibre optic
Thanks!
Your response was submitted.
sgreen93
Dialled in

Form submitted! Previously got the 2ac before release and that resolved issues I was having at the time, so interested to see if this resolves the issues I’m having with my (now rather old) Hub 3!

dmason197
Fibre optic

Thanks!

Your response was submitted.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Do u know If I'll ever get too try this brand new Hub FIVE or not so 🤔 😕 🤷 

I've been eager too also trial this myself but It seems If ur a 1Gig customer you get nothing?

Kind regards 

Dean

TeddyTRK
Superfast

I understand the difficulties they are having around the release of the Hub 5, but neglecting 1gig Ultimate/Volt bundle customers - to me - just isn't the way to go. I understand it needs trailing and a lot needs to be fixed, but why announce it so early? All it's going to do is create tension the longer we have to wait. I personally do not mind the wait, but neglecting customers and announcing a router that it's anywhere near ready was such a rookie and stupid decision by VM (even if there were leaks.) In my opinion the hub 3 was the best router that's come out of VM as the Hub 4, for me, has been absolutely rubbish (had 2 separate replacements), so I hope the Hub 5 meets the demands. 

Connorcoolbeans
Tuning in

Hi everyone. Just wondering for those that have the Hub 5 already (and that use it for gaming) does the new superhub 5 help with the latency issues that the previous superhubs suffered with because they use the intel puma chipsets rather than the broadcom chip that is in the new superhub 5? 

nad_haque
Dialled in

Well Hello to everyone from me. I got the hub 5 installed today by the engineer as I had requested for it. Speeds and everything is perfect. Enjoying it so far. With a 10db attenuator. Virgin media claim they are out of stock despite the engineers are carrying them so engineer visit looks like your next Stop for the Hub 5.

nad_haque
Dialled in

As a Gig 1 customer I’m quite surprised with the speeds on WiFi