cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers as well as existing customers without a Hub 4 who upgrade to Gig1. Currently there is no other way to get a Hub 5.

Temporarily, due to stock levels at the end of last year and the start of this year. Some Gig1 customers expecting a Hub 5 may have received a Hub 4 instead. We'll be contacting these Gig1 customers to offer them a Hub 5 via email.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
1,355 Comments
dmason197
Fibre optic

There a lot better now 

It's so disappointing like people have said there will probably be a Hub 6/7/8 before Virgin Media actually do anything?

An update on the trials at least would be nice?

Kind regards 

Dean

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ll be very honest with you. It would be better to go with BT or Sky best not to mention talktalk 🤣.  They have the latest equipment and they are offering speeds of 1GB but it all depends if it’s available in your area. If not then you can try calling noting that you may have called many times but without a good outcome or maybe fill out a complaint form. And let them do the fixes to make things correct for you.

IllLustration
Up to speed

It's a shame they don't just approve or provide a dedicated modem with 2.5G+ port. That's how it used to be, in the good old days with Telewest (and presumably NTL as well). In those days, of course, connecting your own router to share a single public IP address with multiple devices was a revolutionary act that was not endorsed or supported ...

dmason197
Fibre optic

Why hasn't there been any official updates?

Kind regards 

Dean

dmason197
Fibre optic

Why hasn't there been any official updates?

Kind regards 

Dean

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed

What a mess vm are becoming. Always working on updates and  changing things...So [MOD EDIT: Language] of

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently testing is supposed to finish this month and apparently from May 2022 they were providing Hub 5 to new and some existing customers on their Gig1 bundle.Looks like they kept all of us in the dark 🙄

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed

And we suffer from greedy vm again...Its all to herd in the sheep

JJG92
Dialled in

There is no update as of yet but I have herd a little bit about a Priority list so once available in a wider launch people on that list will be notified straight away

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed

Priority list ? new customers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Believe me there is no priority list. half of the time they make stuff up in regards as they don’t want to be giving out the hub 5s just yet to customers. As it will be in demand too much then. They will also say they will contact with an email for eligibility. Which they have said for past months and nothing has happened. I lost all hope in this case. I’ll be honest.

Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

16th June: We're running a small trial of our WiFi Pods which includes a Hub 5 should you wish to apply. You can do so by filling out the form here:

22nd June: Thanks to everyone who registered their interest, we now have a big enough pool of people to choose from and we’ll private message successful applicants on the community with the next steps shortly.

23rd June: We want to balance our previous intake with more Hub 3 customers so we've re-opened this temporarily. If you previously applied for this trial you do not need to apply again. We'll contact successful applicants shortly on the next steps.

27th June: Thanks to all who applied, we’ll private message successful applicants on the community with the next steps shortly.

1st July: We've now private messaged all the successful applicants. Thanks to all that registered their interest and we'll let you know if another trial opportunity arises. 

davewillo
On our wavelength

No good if you're a Gig1 customer...

"This trial is only open to Virgin Media broadband customers who are registered on the Virgin Media community and excludes Gig1 customers unless they already have a Hub 5."

josh94
Superfast

Submit application - looking forward to testing it, will Gig2 come at some point, has that been spoken about?

snozski
Up to speed

"This trial is only open to Virgin Media broadband customers who are registered on the Virgin Media community and excludes Gig1 customers unless they already have a Hub 5."

what the hell 🙂 most people who would want this are gig1 customers for the 2.5gbit ethernet and faster wifi speeds I filled all this out and then saw this. 

dmason197
Fibre optic
Thanks!
Your response was submitted.
josh94
Superfast

I actually read that as the other way round lol, absolutely ridiculous, I already submit it anyway

Anonymous
Not applicable
sandelben
On our wavelength

With this hub 5 when the trail is over do we give the hub back or not 

dmason197
Fibre optic

When are they progressing the applications further?

Kind regards 

Dean