cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers as well as existing customers without a Hub 4 who upgrade to Gig1. Currently there is no other way to get a Hub 5.

Temporarily, due to stock levels at the end of last year and the start of this year. Some Gig1 customers expecting a Hub 5 may have received a Hub 4 instead. We'll be contacting these Gig1 customers to offer them a Hub 5 via email.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
1,355 Comments
sk09
On our wavelength

By the time hub 5 is out I'll be long gone to Grain Broadband. VM have competition in our area now.  

dmason197
Fibre optic

Maybe they will provide further updates soon?

I'm eager too get hold of the Virgin HUB FIVE also?

Kind regards 

Dean

jamilayz
Dialled in

Hi, 

Can someone share their VM Hub 5 upgrade link here ?

That might give us a chance to populate it with our details.

Thank You.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Has anybody got an actual registration page?

Kind regards

Dean

calculus
Tuning in

When I was offered Hub 5, I accepted immediately:- going from Hub 2 to Hub 5 must be an improvement...

Perhaps I should have looked further... Improvement in range, or improvement in speed? All I saw was that it promised to be better for multiple devices.

For some devices, it is OK, but my BT610 range extender will not connect, so the effective range is reduced!  Our main TV was on that extender.😕

Also my wife's Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 reports that it is connected, but continually buffers or times out loading webpages. She is ex-communicated. I might be soon.

I'm wondering if there is some change in the protocol which makes the Hub5 incompatible with older devices. I either need to solve it or go back to hub2, but can I do that?

Thanks for listening.

jamilayz
Dialled in

@ Calculus

Can you share your upgrade link ?

Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@calculus it’s good to hear that you were offered the Hub 5.Please note some customers will face issues with certain aspects because the Hub has not fully been launched and there are bugs that will be fixed in the upcoming weeks or months depending on how quick Virgin media are working on the hub but it takes time to address these issues.Furthermore If you are not happy with the hub 5 you can give them a call and ask them to send you a hub 3/hub 4, As the Hub 2 is obviously discontinued and you would be better of with a router that is currently still in circulation and take advantage of your service with better WiFi speeds and signals depending on the package you have. Kind regards Kazam Bhinder. 

jamilayz
Dialled in

Hi @ Calculus,

Which package are you currently on with VM ?

Thanks.

Treble1
Fibre optic

I thought we would of Been further on now with the hub 5 release 6 months on so slow it’s painful 

andrewmm
Fibre optic

Virgin is obviously taking its time to get a 100 % tested product before release

and taking on board all the feedback so it makes a great product...

Look ,   I see a flying pig .....

Giddy
Tuning in

@andrewmm by the time it comes out a lot of people will have found another solution anyway. 

jamilayz
Dialled in

Going to try Multi-Gig Port Aggregation on my Netgear RAX120 to see if it works the same way as Balance R-R ?

Basically being charged for 1 Gig package (1140 MBPS Download) but VM's equipment i.e. Hub 4 can handle those speeds as the ethernet ports are capped at around 960 MBPS.

A bit deceiving.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Can anybody share there registration page?

Kind regards 

Dean

jamilayz
Dialled in

Virgin Media are proudly stating the following in relation to their Gig 1 Package:-

With download speeds averaging 1,130Mbps and upload speeds averaging 52Mbps, you’ll really feel the difference when you download, send and share even the biggest files.

Isn't this classified as false advertising as surely they know that these download speeds are not achievable with a Hub 4 ?

More than happy to get OFCOM's view on this.

We have been charged full price for this service but should have been informed about the above.

Can someone from Virgin Media comment on this as feeling that they have been deceiving us.

jamilayz
Dialled in

@ dmason197

You can try https://www.virginmedia.com/offers/hub5upgrade

But it won't work as you need a form to become available with your  pre-populated details.

jamilayz
Dialled in

Just complained to OFCOM as feeling let down by Virgin Media.

Hub 5 should have been offered to Gig 1 customers.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Well I feel let down also as I'm on the Gig1 package and I'm never getting anywhere the advertised broadband speeds

Kind regards 

Dean

hifih66
Joining in

Capture.JPG

hifih66
Joining in

Any Progress?

jamilayz
Dialled in

@ hifih66,

Where are you getting the above message ?