cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers as well as existing customers without a Hub 4 who upgrade to Gig1. Currently there is no other way to get a Hub 5.

Temporarily, due to stock levels at the end of last year and the start of this year. Some Gig1 customers expecting a Hub 5 may have received a Hub 4 instead. We'll be contacting these Gig1 customers to offer them a Hub 5 via email.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
1,355 Comments
jamilayz
Dialled in

Hi @ Kei_M,

Any update for me regarding my VM Hub 5 as technical team said that I should be getting it soon.

Will you be sending invites to people in EH54 as I am currently on Gig 1 Fibre with phone package in case the other above doesn't work as there has been a complete silence from Virgin Media ?

I don't want to spend hours on the phone by talking to people who are clueless.

McKenize333
On our wavelength

@ Jamilayz

Dont  bother  get one  is not  available   yet  

And is not available for you  1Gigabytes  Packages.

jamilayz
Dialled in

Sorry I am confused with your comment @  McKenize333

What are you trying to say as it's not very clear ?

shahid36
Joining in

I am not sure if I could get my desire out to someone who is sending the email invitation out. I would love to get the hub 5. I have my CCTV cameras (continuous streaming in 2k resolution - 4 cameras). They were connected via WiFi but hub 3 couldn't handle it. I had to put holes in the wall and run the ethernet cable from hub to CCTV box. Hub 5 (WiFi 6) would have solved that).

I am disabled so doing it was very very hard

McKenize333
On our wavelength

The Hub is on trial at the moment. They selected the trialists (i.e. you) with various criteria in mind and one of them was the customers were not currently on 1GB packages. A VM person may be able to explain why - or we can make some guesses.

McKenize333
On our wavelength

Customers on Gig1 are currently excluded from the Hub 5 invites at this stage.

Read the forum, and there's a lot of teething problems with the Hub 5.  You might not encounter them, but in your shoes I'd be happily  But hopefully you can make an informed choice - do you want to be an early adopter of the Hub 5, working with unproven technology that usually takes a couple of years for most of the flaws to be ironed out?  That can be a valid choice if it works for you.

Tavistock
Tuning in

Will the hub 5 affect my Virgin tv V6 box?

Lisa_CC

Hi @Tavistock, the Hub 5 shouldn't affect your V6 box. 

Tavistock
Tuning in

If the Hub 5 doesn’t work properly for any reason, can I send it back and reconnect my old one?

Lisa_CC

@Tavistock If you have any problems with the Hub 5, please post on our Community Forum under the Networking and WiFi Board so we can help investigate. Thanks

marekthomasx1
On our wavelength

hey lisa, nice to see the forum team! do we have any updates on the issues they’re trying to iron out with SH5?

Lisa_CC

Hey @marekthomasx1 our Product Team will be working on updates for the Hub 5 as with our other equipment. If you have the Hub 5 and are experiencing any issues, we advise to post on our Forum so we can tailor our support as everyone's setup and connection may be different. 

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed

@Lisa_CC

can i get hub 5?

My old sh3 has major over heating probs

hifih66
Joining in

Virgin contacted me out of the blue to say that I had been selected to try out the Hub 5. and I accepted their offer. In an email dated 18th February they advised delivery date of 3rd March. Spent a few days this week planning out how to attach my thirty IP devices and reconfiguring my homeplug network...........but nothing arrived yesterday. Have I been wasting my time?

JoyBoi79
Joining in

I think I need one of these new and improved hubs, my hub3 has been on the fritz multiple times a day for about 2 weeks, is it a failed update process, is it possessed or is it just ancient?

Price goes up but service remains stagnant.

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed
McKenize333
On our wavelength

For alll the people  is not  Available  at  mo.

The Hub is on trial at the moment. They selected the trialists (i.e. you) with various criteria in mind and one of them was the customers were not currently on 1GB packages. A VM person may be able to explain why - or we can make some guesses.

jamilayz
Dialled in

It doesn't make any sense to exclude the Gig 1 customers as we can only test the full potential of this Hub 5. Currently the ethernet port on Hub 4 only supports upto 1 GBPS connection which is capped at around 950 MBPS thus loosing out 50 MBPS. Feel like we have been paying for a service but can't seem to get it fully. Have replaced all my ethernet cables with CAT8. VM bring it as ready for 2.5 Gig speeds.

Hardnuta
Tuning in

Totally agree but I hear there were issues on the older routers where if you connected at the highest speeds and were able to utilise them, it actually caused slow downs because there was no buffer. 

Just bought a mesh router set up with 2.5gbps input and output ports so I'd love to get that extra 150mbps or so from the modem to the router. 

Dasein
On our wavelength

It's a shame 😕 

Been having way too many problems with Hub 3 & 4 and still not been able to get Hub 5 despite being in March now. 

Surely after all the hassle, customers should be atleast able to get it if they asked, right? I've been getting horrible internet so far and ruled out a lot of causes.