cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

news.virginmedia.com gone...

goldstonebha
Tuning in

As of yesterday, Virgin's usenet server, news.virginmedia.com, which I think was outsourced, has been taken down it seems. It would have been nice to have notice of this but I can see nothing?  

5 REPLIES 5

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

You are right it has now been discontinued some users got a message regarding the removal of the service is they were regular users.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

about time. Usenet was only ever used for copyrighted content.
We have forums, social media and better systems now.

I'm surprised they were never forced down by court order

Usenet has been going since 1980 and is still widely used for discussion groups. Of course it has been in decline but it's still around and there are free and cheap servers to keep it going. I've been using it since the 1980s. My point is that I didn't get any warning Virgin was ending its agreement with the service provider.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I still use the uk Mac newsgroups - still active and the best place to get advice on Apple related issues/equipment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ya I am surprised it was allowed to go on for so long, it's a good change though and it will protect VM from court issues.