cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keeping router cool

Piketracy
Tuning in

Hello all,

Silly question really, how do i keep my router cool?
I have a HUB3, i'm on my third router.  My first one lasted for about 3-4 years (which apparently is roughly the life span of this router), my second one lasted about 14 months and now i'm on number 3 which was put in a few weeks ago.
My first router i turned off when nothing was in use and was also off over night, which was apparently wrong as updates are done early in the morning though that router lasted nearly 4 years instead of only 14 months like my second one
I know we are having a heatwave at the moment which doesn't help and i live roughly an hour from London, so right in the middle of the heat, so it is HOT!!  I live with my parents who have given up on almost every mobile phone i have tried to get them to use so we have a landline as the main phone and also now have a emergency phone as well which is connected to the back of my HUB3.
Could having the emergency line at the back of the HUB be causing it to overheat?  And of course i have the router out of direct sunlight and the curtains are shut, i have my fan on which is also keeping the router cool, do i do anything else?😀
Thanks in advance of any help

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

What led light is showing on the hub?

Otherwise you are doing the right things re shade and ventilation. 

Just the normal white light at the bottom front of hub, but it was showing that when it stopped working before and was very hot to touch.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm that's the right colour but as you can't readily turn it off in all of the circumstances I have highlighted your post given the ongoing heat you mention. 

Thanks, the heat has got worse since the emergency line was put in for my parents, it was a great idea but now wondering if i should have it turned off and back to normal landline and try and get parents to use a mobile, as they both have Alzheimer's they need something they know how to use, what do you think?

A properly functioning hub does not get that hot.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks,
I am not that techy would i be able to see what is happening to my hub3 as in the photo you sent?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It might not be relevant here but the link is https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality 

You could also post your stats by visiting 192.168.0.1 via the link below the login details.