cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are loyal customers penalised by not receiving the same package costs as new customers ?

Froghall
Tuning in

I currently have the Ultimate Oomph bundle and paying £100 per month (which includes a discount) which will increase to £139 on 22nd June (when the discount ends).

As a new customer, I would pay only £79 per month for 18 months, then £139 per month.

Why, after all the years I've been with Virgin, am I penalised this way?

Surely loyalty should be rewarded. 

To add insult to injury, if I try to reduce my package costs by removing Sky Sports and Sky Cinema, then I'll end up paying more !

I hope steps are taken to enforce the same rules now changing in the insurance industry for existing customers to obtain the same rates as new ones. 

6 REPLIES 6

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All that will happen under that ruling is that everyone will pay the same higher rate as new customer deals will be removed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

Because when you were first a new customer you would have been paying less than current existing customers at that time.

Everyone seems to forget that part, however.

Swings and roundabouts.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'm playing devil's advocate here rather than actively defending VM, but why should loyalty be rewarded?  At VM's new customer prices there's no profit at all during the first 18 months (indeed a moderate loss) after taking account of operating costs, marketing costs, "onboarding" costs, and new connection and equipment costs. 

If a customer is "loyal", they've stayed with the company, and by definition are happy with the balance of price and package, even if they moan about it.  If they're genuinely not happy, then they leave.  If enough people leave, the company go bust, or have to change their pricing.  If insufficient people leave, then the company have it somewhere about right, and replace customer losses with new sign ups.

So you do of course have two options if you don't like the end-of-contract price:

1) Take your custom to another company, and take advantage of their new customer pricing offer.  Sometimes during a customer's notice period VM will make an outbound retention call offering a very attractive price to stay, but don't depend on that happening. 

2) Phone up VM and negotiate a discount.  A skilled player of the Retentions Game can get very close to the new customer price.

So Andrew, you have access to Virgins books and can see what they make and don't make ??

No way do they make a loss, they are too greedy.

I got a card through the post stating i could get 1Gb package to replace my £139 omph package for £110. But would lose on TV.

Surprised as 1Gb is not available in Preston. Customer service confirmed the offer was not applicable. But dropped my oomph to £111 for 18 months.

So I would suggest you talk to customer services to see what they can offer.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

you are not a new customer.
Why do NHS workers and the military also get better deals? That is also unfair.