Menu
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 21 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is the point of Virgin Service Status?

@jpeg1 wrote:

So Skype for Business is OK, but Broadband for Business is not. Some lack of consistency there.

This is one of those infrequent but rather amusing threads where a single poster maintains that they are right and all the rest of the world is wrong. And with a few swear words to dress up an unconvincing argument.

Personally I think that most(nearly all)  threads from community are actually hilarious - but then humour is such a nebulous personalised interpretation that we can't generalise......   and after 20yrs as Cable user and 9+yrs as a SU on this website one has to be politically paranoidcarefull....

So when the OP states they don't want/need any "diagnostic help" and also stating "trolling" to any attempt at rational "non ad Hominem" debate then I'm tempted to move the thread to Chatter/Technical debate? 

.....but I can't!

Why - because it's a "conflict-of-interest" so I can't participate AND move threads/posts that I think are inappropriate and do not follow the "spirit of. the community" (ergo Forum T&C's).   THIS IS WHY WE HAVE INDEPENDENT MODERATION AND DESPITE MY EXASPERATION/FRUSTRATION EVEN ANY SU HAS TO FOLLOW THESE RULES(GUIDELINES)!

That said IF THE OP @timfg requests  moving this to CHATTER/TECHNICAL forum and avoid the TIMEWASTING involvement  on a technical help fora that will. otherwise OBSTRUCT assisting users that are requesting genuine technical diagnostic assistance than I (or potentially any SU) also can/will move this thread?

So there's the challenge - if @timfg does genuinely believe he/she/it (one has to respect gender neutrality these days....  ) has perhaps not had time  to read (let alone understand) all the 2.3Million posts (some of which cover his/her/it's concerns) then "we" can move "his/her/it's thread" or alternatively ANY OF US can flag it to Moderator (AND  THUS COMPLY WITH AND ACCEPT HIS/HER/IT's INDEPENDENT ACTION?).

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Actually, I think SfB is excellent - I put Cisco IP telephony on 8000 desktops a few years back, subsequently replacing it with SfB (originally Lync) and, in its current incarnation I think it's the jewel in the MS portfolio.  But it's performance is fundamentally dependent on corporate infrastructure and what's actually sitting at the back end.  My last company invested heavily in getting the whole equation right and performance was rock-solid. The one I currently work for has some pretty creaky WAN and LAN around the estate and SfB is running off some of the older Lync infrastructure.  Like you, I have a consistently good experience at home (non-VPN), much more erratic in some offices.

Skype's no yardstick, but it provides instant alerting to drops in the connection - certainly on days like yesterday when I was (meant to be) in back-to-back calls from 8am to 3pm (and then 3.30-5). I had 6 drops in service of 5-15 mins - easily verified by quickly checking what's happening with the hub.  My neighbour, 20 houses down the road, had exactly the same experience - we message each other the moment it happens, as it immediately eliminates any point in checking for local issues if we're both out at the same time. I have had several days like this over the last three years (when I moved here), outside of those performance is consistent and excellent - and so has my neighbour.  I can't help but conclude that the occurrences are almost certainly down to human intervention somewhere in the equation - it's always the same pattern, always during the working day etc. I don't have any real problem with that per se - what I do have a problem with is the lack of notification and the inability of the support guys to tell me what's going on.  If I knew in advance that there was work planned in the area, I'd go into an office somewhere.

I'm not sure I agree with your view of the forward picture. In metropolitan areas there is a wealth of providers of broadband and healthy competition (albeit many of them reliant on the same infrastructure). Broadband is becoming ever more critical to daily existence (most of my current company - about 10k in the UK I think) work from home most of the time, a radical shift from even 5 years ago. Increasingly, the only differentiator between service providers (apart from cost, to which the market is highly sensitive) is resilience. There are some mostly nonsense battles going on with WiFi performance which matters to many, but core performance is not a factor for most people any more (and neither is WiFi for me, I have PoE ceiling mounted endpoints on each floor - but local provision that doesn't depend on the suppliers kit is becoming more common generally). I think you are absolutely correct about the spaghetti behind the provision, which makes it hard to SLA the crap out of the model, but there is much more you can do without actually improving delivery per se - like warning your customers of periods of potential outage. This alone would be massively significant to me and I can't see it would need a lot of investment to do this kind of thing radically better than V currently do it - they already should have the data they need to make it happen, both of their infrastructure and their customers.

I don't want a better service particularly. I do want better management and support of the service I currently have

0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1

"So Skype for Business is OK, but Broadband for Business is not. Some lack of consistency there"

Don't be ridiculous. It's an application that has functionality to support business use.  There is zero analogy to be drawn.

"This is one of those infrequent but rather amusing threads where a single poster maintains that they are right and all the rest of the world is wrong. And with a few swear words to dress up an unconvincing argument."

I haven't used a single swear-word - I alluded to one instance of my neighbour using one and obfuscated it with special characters.  Apparently this is not OK and it was removed.

You really are very tedious. Go and flamewar with someone else..

Tags (1)
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@horseman What a bizarre post. But feel free to move this to wherever you think it fits best. I could care less.

horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 25 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@timfg wrote:

@horseman What a bizarre post. But feel free to move this to wherever you think it fits best. I could care less.

No problem - compliance as YOU requested!   You/anyone can request this be modified by flagging to Moderator who has the ultimate adjudication......

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 26 of 51
Flag for a moderator

@timfg wrote:

@jpeg1........I haven't used a single swear-word - I alluded to one instance of my neighbour using one and obfuscated it with special characters.  Apparently this is not OK and it was removed.

You really are very tedious. Go and flamewar with someone else..

OK now we have moved the thread (as you requested) and are not obstructing any of the Technical fora then why react/respond with such a potential confrontational retort?

Of course - you "don't care" (as you stated. previously) -  but fwiw I (personally) actually do  "care" because I believe you have  valid topics to discuss....  and personally I'm genuinely interested....      

Regards Tony
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
timfg
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Because he's not engaging in the discussion, just trying to inspire arguments. It's tedious.

0 Kudos
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 28 of 51
Flag for a moderator

Skype for Business is a poor piece of software and is almost univerally unliked by just about all IT proffesionals. I am struggling to comprehend how you can think this is Microsofts 'jewel' although they do set a low bar with most of their software. Are you sure you work in IT, or do you actually work in project management?

BTW Skype for Business is end of life. It will receieve no more enhancements and is no longer part of Enterprise deals. Teams is, and will replace Skype for Business. Even Microsoft hates Skype for Business - although I do find teams even more frustrating in many areas.

Now, on to the notificaiton element of your posts. If you work in IT you will know that even the simplest of changes cost money, and what you are talking about is not a simple fix - i am not sure why you think it would be. There is simply no way VM will spend any money giving you what you want, and that's even if what you are describing is visible within the network. How do you know it's not simply the local cabinet? Whatever it is, is certainly not people working on the network if you are seeing a pattern on day of week and time. For all we know it could be massive packet loss. Have you tried the Think Broadband monitor to see what is happening on your side when the network goes wrong?

Picking up on the 10K workers, working from home. If this is the case, why has your company not provided you with a business line? From this, they would be able to hold the provider to account? If you get some form of allowance, surely you should be using this to purhcase the business package and not using the residential infrastructure and/or getting yourself a capable router that allows fall over to some other form of conneciton (4G/ADSL). Just as you need to have business insurance cover to travel on business, you should be using a business product if you primary place of work is from home - if you are expecting 99.9999% up time.

There will be no resolution to your query here, as this is pretty much community support (i.e. it's manned by customers) and even if VM do see this, it'll never get to a decision maker as you are asking for a higher quality of service than the market is prepared to offer residential customers, why, because you quite simply don't pay enough to get this level of service.

The only way to fix this problem is to get your employee - let me guess - Fujitsu to give you the tools you need to do your job. If you need this connection to do your job, get them to pay for a suitable service.

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 29 of 51
Flag for a moderator

an oddly long thread.

as always, the terms and conditions which are legally binding and agreed to by all customers who use virgin services gives the general answer.

' in order to keep providing a great level of service, we may modify or temporarily suspend internet access, or part of it, to the extent necessary for us to carry out maintenance, technical repair, enhancement or emergency work. we will try to minimise the impact of this on your internet access, and we will restore internet access to you as soon as we can. where possible, we will notify you if this occurs between the hours of 6am and midnight and is due to last for more than 1 hour'.

due to the nature of the internet, we cannot guarantee specific levels of performance for internet access'

jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 30 of 51
Flag for a moderator

But we still don't know that VM are/were carrying out maintenance. That's just the OP's assumption based on no evidence and apparently no desire to find out.