Menu
wubble
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin promo emails

I've just had an email from Virgin telling me how much I've been using the services - how many Gb I've used, how many hours of streaming music I've had etc.  I suspected it was nonsense as I just haven't spent 17 hours streaming tv; I haven't spent 21,000 hours of streaming music.  But to clinch it all, I apparently spent 455 hours of 'solid' gaming.  I don't do gaming at all!

Why does Virgin dream this stuff up?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin promo emails

Hi Wubble,

Thanks for your post - sorry for the delayed response here.

The Value Statements are just a way to communicate the different ways you may have used your connection over the course of the year based on the amount you've uploaded & downloaded - which is the only information we hold with regards to your online usage.

We don't have specific access to your online activity so it's not possible for us to know how many hours you've spent gaming for instance. It's just a simple & effective way for us to communicate the value for money our service offers. 

If you'd rather not receive these in future you can change your preferences via your online account here: virg.in/myVM.

Please let us know if there's anything we can help with otherwise.

Tom_F

0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@wubble wrote:

I've just had an email from Virgin telling me how much I've been using the services - how many Gb I've used, how many hours of streaming music I've had etc.  I suspected it was nonsense as I just haven't spent 17 hours streaming tv; I haven't spent 21,000 hours of streaming music.  But to clinch it all, I apparently spent 455 hours of 'solid' gaming.  I don't do gaming at all!

Why does Virgin dream this stuff up?

try reading it more carefully, you'll see that it doesn't say that, it says that is what you amount could have equated to.

bet you feel a bit foolish now seeing that it was you that dreamt it up.

MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dunno about anyone else, but I find these occasional messages useful.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Back on 31st January I had my yearly statement saying I used 245GB in last 12 months.

Today I received a "Relational Status update" saying I'm using an average of 239GB monthly.

Big difference in usage figure's with no change in the way we use it, not sure if this last email is a polite way of saying "slowdown". lol

Screenshot_20190227-153710.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HMMMMMM

I received a statement on Jan 30 2019 that I had used a "whopping" 332GB per month. That is small when you consider HD and 4K etc stuff.

Then yesterday I received another email titled "Relationship status update" ... my reaction was like what is that title even? I'm dating no one and am happy single. Definately not dating my broadband Cat LOL Apparently I used 375GB last month.

I am not used to having statements like this, this often. It used to be more of a thing for people in a bundle (I am a BB solus customer.)

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Shelke

Does not the first statement you had say "what you've enjoyed in last 12 months", mine does :-)

Screenshot_20190227-230518.png

0 Kudos
Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@teabag 

It's titled "Wondering how much you rely on broadband, NAME?"

Looks visually like it though.

I don't want to be getting regular statements of my broadband usage though, that is two within 30 days. If I get another in March I'll call in to see if I can opt out of those emails.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm used to getting one a year "yearly statement" which I got last October, these two recent ones are new to me.

There is a "click here" unsubscribe button at the bottom of the emails.

Shelke
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

There is a "click here" unsubscribe button at the bottom of the emails.

I personally wouldn't click that, internet experience since 2000 has shown me that clicking unsubscribe normally results in your email address being spammed into oblivion

0 Kudos