Menu
Mojo_0086
Joining in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Virgin don't offer best prices to current customers

I moved to virgin almost a year ago. Unfortunately in comparison to sky HD and Vigins HD there is a massive difference. I've contacted virgin as to why there HD channels are of poor quility, the answer I got was its down to the broad cast. In the years I was with sky I Never had this issue?! Anyway I'm now moving back to sky for my TV services but wanted to keep my broadband with virgin. But after finding out when my contract ends I will be paying £35 for vivid 50 per month where new customers get it at £27. After taking to retentions they advised they can not give these offers to current virgin customers. So after asking Where's the loyalty to your customers the reply was your not the first nor will be the last person to ask this but its what the screen comes up with ie offers or not. In my case no offeres! So I've now cancelled the lot and done so a month early than I should as the fee is cheap compared to staying.

It's my first experience with virgin and now I know how they treat customers once signed on board I won't bother again! There are other Internet providers offering boardband for much less and giving customers the best they can. It's only £8 a month difference from the new customer to existing but surly virgin can afford to give existing customers the same deals to keep them tham than loose them completely. Really disappointed virgin. 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin don't offer best prices to current customers

'virgin don't offer best prices to current customers'

neither do sky, bt, electricity companies, car insurance companies, travel insurance companies etc.

it is a business model that works across various industries. customers are groomed in by a great price at little profit to the company. most though, if happy with the service stay. martin lewis/which etc banging on about switching usually falls on deaf ears. most people don't want the hassle.

sure if you move you will congratulate yourself on saving cash. but once signed up, introductory offers then disappear after time, prices go up annually. you then start comparing prices with bt and virgin again and rejoin as a new customer.

the whole process is encouraged by the regulator to ensure competition.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

There is no loyalty. Every year I call Retentions and say that I'm paying too much and, guess what, I'm always offered a better deal but with a new contract. That's just the way it is.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

There is no loyalty. Every year I call Retentions and say that I'm paying too much and, guess what, I'm always offered a better deal but with a new contract. That's just the way it is.

loyalty is a two-way street, and some often forget that.
most expect loyalty to only work to their benefit.

a business is there to make profit.

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

The point though is that making an effort to keep your customers loyal by providing incentives like good prices and service is entirely consistent with making profit, but many companies don't understand this.

--
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

.Re: Virgin don't offer best prices to current customers

yet virgin continue to be profitable.

my philosophy is this, the price you sign up with is the price you'll be paying on-going unless you chose to re-negotiate it.
virgin (or any other company) is under no obligation to keep contacting you offering you better deals.
what someone else might get as a new customer is irrelevant to what (or anyone else) happens to be paying.

if anyone doesn't like the price they pay then leave and go get a new customer deal from somewhere, but after 12 months they'll be complaining again when they are paying different to a new customer.

that's society for you though, too many people want something but don't want to pay for it, claiming lack of loyalty when they don't get it.

Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: .Re: Virgin don't offer best prices to current customers

VM profitable? Here are the recent comprehensive losses comprising net loss, foreign currency translation adjustments and pension adjustments:

Year ending 31/12/17: £106.9m including net loss of £86.9m

Year ending 31/12/16: £294.8m including net loss of £285.6m

Year ending 31/12/15:  £95.5m including net loss of £141.9m

--
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

is that for liberty global or VM?
have you taken into account expenditure in relation to network expansion? remove that from the figures which skew results.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

It's VM. And network exapnsion does not skew results any more than other capital expenditure as it's written off over a period of years.

--
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

it's skews it in terms of a profitable year showing as unprofitable if they had chosen to stick rather than twist.

however, if loss as are such then more customers need to start being more loyal and pay the going rate rather than trying to get "something for nothing" and spitting the dummy when they don't.

as i said, it's a societal problem.

0 Kudos