Menu
Jimny14
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin blocking drive over night

Is it standard virgin policy when laying cables down the street to block off our main drive entrance and put our house in the middle of temporary traffic lights without advising us this will be happening? Came home in dark to find as I slowed on the main road at rush hour to turn in to our drive that there was a blue barrier blocking our drive. As I set off to move back up the road to try our other gate hole a car had already started to move round me and was now on wrong side of road in oncoming traffic (difficult bend near our gates). I've phoned their line and they told me they'd contact. It had now been opened so we can use our gates again but to say I'm not happy regarding this is an understatement.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin blocking drive over night

All public works have to be authorised by your local council. It is them you need to contact first about any problem, they should then get the VM contractors to respond.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Jimny14
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, I contacted virgin as it was their contractors, contacted them the same evening I became aware of the issue and it was rectified the next day. My question is more regarding why we haven't been given any notice that access to our property was going to be obstructed and why we were put within temporary traffic lights without warning. Are they just allowed to do that or should we have had some written warning,?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jimmy14, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Smiley Happy 

If there is a case that we will need to block your property for a few days then we would of course contact you. 

It sounds as though the contractors placed the barrier in the wrong place which is why we were able to rectify this so quickly. 

Tudor is correct though, your local council would have provided the permits for the work to go ahead so we wouldn't necessarily  let residents know before hand unless there is a major disruption. 

If you have any further issues while work is ongoing, you can reach the Street Works Team on 0333 000 5925.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jimny14
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath. So can I infer from your reply that it is the council who should have let us know that our house would be placed between temporary traffic lights during the works? I quite agree that the barrier appeared to be in the wrong place, it seemed to have been placed on the pavement in a line of barriers protecting setting tarmac. I do wonder if an accident had happened due to me not being able to turn in to my driveway would virgin be any more concerned regarding this issue? I have as yet had no apology from either virgin or the contractor. I would say I don't want to be petty but it seems such a simple thing to do but your company appear not to be concerned.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI Jimny14

We do try to notify impacted residents where we can if works may cause them any inconvenience but the local authority will have had these roadworks approved up to at least 3 months prior to us attending too.

As we're not a utility company we don't fall under the same notification regulations so in some instances notices are not able to be mailed to you such as with the case here. 

If your LA has not notified you of this directly that is maybe because they choose to notify of impending works in alternative ways e.g. via their websites or in the local newspapers etc

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
davemac123
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

are they still blocking you  it seems a long time now since your first post

0 Kudos