cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from sky

Glen1958
Joining in

I advised my sister to take advantage of the 'refer a friend' and move from sky to Virgin media. Someone from Virgin rang her today with details of offers and prices and she agreed to switch as it is much cheaper. My sister said the advisor told her they would take care of cancelling her sky subscription (it is out of contract).  Is this correct?  She may had misheard as I would not think sky would cancel anything without hearing from the customer direct. She is changing broadband, TV and telephone.      

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

NO. VM cannot cancel a Sky broadband contract. If think if a landline is ported to VM then the telephone connection is terminated with Sky. In any case it’s always better to wait until the VM broadband is up and working correctly before cancelling your previous ISP.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thank you Tudor,

I'll advise to get in touch with sky asap as they may need ? days notice. She has a date Virgin are coming so I will advise her to cancel on that day or day after.    

If she is porting her phone number it is essential that she does not contact Sky as the number has to be live for the porting to work. The moment the number is ported to VM she will immediately lose Sky's phone and broadband (as Sky's broadband runs over the phone line.) IMHO I thinking number porting can be more trouble than it's worth but many will no doubt disagree. She would then have to call Sky to cancel TV.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

annorax
Superfast

Unless Sky has changed, they used to say to customers that if they are moving their service to another provider they won't allow you to take your existing landline number with you.

It happened to me a few years back when I moved from Sky to another ISP and the other ISP managed to get the landline number from Sky.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"they won't allow you to take your existing landline number with you." they must, it’s OFCOM rules.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

"they won't allow you to take your existing landline number with you." they must, it’s OFCOM rules.

I know that as Sky trying to call my bluff by saying I couldn't port my number over to the other provider when I gave my 30 days notice and my number did get ported if you'd read my full response.

And when it comes to Ofcom, I've noticed their bark is worse than their bite in some cases.